hard drive imaging question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cuestakid, Jan 19, 2007.

1. cuestakid macrumors 68000

is there any way for me to create an image of my boot camp partition , back it up to an external drive and remount it after i reinstall OS X should i ever need to ?

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I am not sure if Superduper! will work for NTFS/FAT partitions, but it did work for my HPFS+ drives :)

3. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

im trying superduper right now-but does anyone else have an idea-

EDIT

Is there any way to do it via disk utility or something like that?

EDIT 2-superduper doesnt work

4. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Anyway you do realise that your Bootcamp partition is independent of your OSX partition right?

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I reinstalled OS X yesterday and Windows isn't affected at all by this process.

If you were intresed i think you can open up disk utility and just make an image of the partitions. Select Windows partition and then new image. Not sure how well it will act as a backup if you ever needed to reinstall windows.

6. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

7. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Not for what you describe. If you are going to reinstall OS X then you can just erase and install the OS X partition. This does not touch the Windows Partition, so you will not need to reinstall the windows partition.

If your windows partition is NTFS then you will be able to copy the data off it but will not be able to put it back on.

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I scan read that link and when he says it will not restore because it is on the same drive as the partition, i think is rubbish. I just tried restoring a .dmg to the Windows parition and went all the way apart from actually pressing Ok on the window that appears saying

"Copy

Restoring will copy new data to Windows. Continue?"

No option was greyed out at all, as suggested.

9. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

well i might as well give it a shot then-maybe the guy did something wrong..

what kind of reinstall would do this-i ask because i know there are a few methods of reinstalling Mac OS X

10. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Reinstalling OSX?

Well i actually did a reinstall the other day and can tell you that "Erase and Install" worked perfectly without deleting Windows. I am sure this will be the same for "Archive and Install" or "Upgrade".

Let us how what happens.

11. cuestakid thread starter macrumors 68000

12. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Did the imaging of the XP partition work, i take it you haven't had to restore from it yet so we won't know if that part works yet.

13. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

I'd expect you should be able to do this with dd from the command line, assuming you know the partition of the bootcamp device.

dd if=/dev/disk0s3 of=/Volumes/backup/file.dd -bs=1M

or something like that.

I'm not sure how bootcamp assigns things or if the devices are there, but it's probably worth poking around a bit to see.

14. zweigand macrumors 6502a

zweigand

You can back it up and restore it as long as it is FAT32. Go into Disk Utility and create a disk image of the Windoze partition. Unfortunately you can't restore the image you made with Disk Utility, but you can clone it back using certain apps. I cloned mine back with "DejaVu", the backup app that comes with toast. To test it I dumped all of the contents of my FAT32 partition in the trash and emptied it. Cloned it back and restarted in windoze. It worked just fine.