Hard Drive Issue

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by bishop1213, Jan 10, 2005.

1. bishop1213 macrumors newbie

I have an 80gig firewire drive that I used with my powerbook, I backed up files to it. I had to sell my powerbook, I tried to connect the drive to my PC, by putting in a usb 2.0 case, My PC didn't see it, I ended up putting a windows partition on the drive. but I didn't format it,

Have I lost any chance of getting my data off this drive? Is there anyway for me to get me data from this drive?

Thanks in advance

Shawn.J

2. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Maybe you can mount it in Linux using Knoppix or somehting? But I can tell you for sure, its not going to be read under Windows.

3. Logik macrumors 6502a

if you partitioned it then it's likely you have messed up the partition information... and in which case will probably be pretty difficult to get the information back... maybe someone else has some advice but i'd say you're in for some "fun"

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, if you formatted it for HFS+ (what Apple uses), a PC will not see it unless you use a program like MacDrive. Do a search for it, it's not that expensive. And actually, MediaFour has a demo for it on their website here which might work temporarily. If you had formatted it with FAT32, both Macs and Windows can see it. NTFS only works with Windows 2000/XP/2003 and read only with Macs. If you've partitioned it to work with Windows, you probably did re-format it, in which case you'd have to use some sort of file recovery software, which might not even work, especially if you've since used the drive at all. If you're files are intact on a separate partition, MacDrive should work fine.

5. bishop1213 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not formated

I am sure I didn't format it, I will try macdrive

thanks all for the advice.

Shawn.J :)

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

New partitions generally have to reformat the drive, BTW. Because you are breaking up the file structure there, you need to recreate it with a new one. Oy Vey. Fun for you it is, methinks.

7. bishop1213 thread starter macrumors newbie

You guys Rock!

All I can say is ROCK ON!, Thanks I loaded MACDrive it dectected my drive with the two partitions and offer to fix it, and my drive opened up
    Thanks again

Shawn.J

8. solvs macrumors 603

solvs