Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flying Llama

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
Los Angeles
LINKETY

The company announced Monday that it has developed a "solid-state disk" using flash memory for PCs, which traditionally have used hard drives. The 1.8-inch NAND flash-based disks, which will be available in August, will have a capacity of up to 16GB. The first disks will target sub-notebooks and tablet PCs. [SNIP] The company said the solid state disk is made up of 8-gigabit chips and consumes power at a rate of less than 5 percent of current hard-disk drives. The challenge is to offer capacities in the same range of current mobile hard drives, such as those used in Apple Computer's popular iPod music players, which currently top out at 60GB.

The solid-state disks also weigh less than half of what comparably sized hard drives weigh, according to Samsung. Solid-state disks also don't use moving parts, making them less prone to skipping and also allowing them to be nearly silent.

What could this mean? A flash-based iPod at close to 20gb in the future, and hard-drive less notebooks with much longer battery life (and ultimately desktops when the capacity increases)

Flash based memory uses less than five percent of energy and weighs less than half compared to most harddrives, which is huge for notebooks and ipods. They also make no noise.
I have been waiting for this to come for ages, but for now it's just slightly too small (as far as capacity) and too expensive. But still, it's great.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Pfffft, its not hard for a company to do this. As was said, its a bunch of 1GB modules put together. So what? Its still going to cost a fortune, and I don't think anyone ever doubted that this could be done. Of course it could be done, but it can't be offered at a decent price.

We all knew it would come eventually anyway..... a laptop that worked on flash memory and therefore didn't need to boot up or use much power.

question fear

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2003
The "Garden" state
TrashCanDan said:
Who knows... Ten years from now every laptop and/or desktop might use flashbased drives, think of the performance boost...

POWERBOOK G5 IN 10 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I think solid state is smart, but i would be curious to see it in action. Would it be slower or faster to update changes? Would reboots run the risk of wiping it?

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
Solid state is the future. And it's closer than we think. I say in 3 years we'll all be buying laptops with flash hard-disks, and not worrying about regular HDDs getting damaged.

Storage without moving parts is here to stay. Check out what Panasonic's new HD camcorder records on:

http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/HVX200/

Solid-state capture means no dropouts in video footage, and instant access to anything you just recorded. I can't wait until we ditch regular hard disks.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
jrv3034 said:
Solid state is the future. And it's closer than we think. I say in 3 years we'll all be buying laptops with flash hard-disks, and not worrying about regular HDDs getting damaged.

Storage without moving parts is here to stay. Check out what Panasonic's new HD camcorder records on:

http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/HVX200/

Solid-state capture means no dropouts in video footage, and instant access to anything you just recorded. I can't wait until we ditch regular hard disks.

Oh god how I wish I could own a camera like that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.