Hard-Drive-Less Notebooks and Others

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Flying Llama, May 23, 2005.

1. Flying Llama macrumors 6502a

Flying Llama

LINKETY

What could this mean? A flash-based iPod at close to 20gb in the future, and hard-drive less notebooks with much longer battery life (and ultimately desktops when the capacity increases)

Flash based memory uses less than five percent of energy and weighs less than half compared to most harddrives, which is huge for notebooks and ipods. They also make no noise.
    I have been waiting for this to come for ages, but for now it's just slightly too small (as far as capacity) and too expensive. But still, it's great.

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Pfffft, its not hard for a company to do this. As was said, its a bunch of 1GB modules put together. So what? Its still going to cost a fortune, and I don't think anyone ever doubted that this could be done. Of course it could be done, but it can't be offered at a decent price.

We all knew it would come eventually anyway..... a laptop that worked on flash memory and therefore didn't need to boot up or use much power.

3. Poeben macrumors 6502

4. TrashCanDan macrumors member

Who knows... Ten years from now every laptop and/or desktop might use flashbased drives, think of the performance boost...

5. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

POWERBOOK G5 IN 10 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I think solid state is smart, but i would be curious to see it in action. Would it be slower or faster to update changes? Would reboots run the risk of wiping it?

6. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Solid state is the future. And it's closer than we think. I say in 3 years we'll all be buying laptops with flash hard-disks, and not worrying about regular HDDs getting damaged.

Storage without moving parts is here to stay. Check out what Panasonic's new HD camcorder records on:

http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/HVX200/

Solid-state capture means no dropouts in video footage, and instant access to anything you just recorded. I can't wait until we ditch regular hard disks.

7. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Actually hard disks are starting to take the place of Mag tape

8. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Oh god how I wish I could own a camera like that.