Hard Drive Noises: What's normal for the PB 12"?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Jennifer, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Jennifer macrumors member

Feb 20, 2004
    I just got a new PB 12" (1GHz) with a 60GB drive and 512 RAM, and I've been worrying about everything (probably because it was soo expensive!). Can anyone comment on what is really normal as far as hard drive noises are concerned?

Several months ago, I was told that the crackling noises my Clamshell iBook was making indicated that the hard drive was going. So when I received the PB, I naturally expected a completely silent drive from this brand new machine. But I still have crackling noises on start up and sometimes when opening applications, etc. (although all else seems to be working fine). Apple Tech support tells me that I have nothing to worry about, but I held my ear up to a PB 12" at the Apple Store the other day and swear I did not hear a thing.

What is your diagnosis?
  2. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    well im my 12" PB my hd is pretty quiet. you hear a bit of noise, especially when a programme is opening but it seams pretty normal to me. how loud is the noise you hear? mine is just audible if your head is like a normal distance away from the it. i dont think you have anything to worry about personally.
  3. Versello macrumors regular

Nov 13, 2003
    Re: Hard Drive Noises: What's normal for the PB 12"?

Crackling noise (like the sound of Rice Krispies) is completely normal. As russed mentioned, the noise is just audible.

As long as you're not hearing a CLUNKING or a CA-CHUNKING, you're good.
  4. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sep 18, 2003
    Light clicking is normal, Ive always had it on all my computers including my 12" PB. However louder clunking noises that my friends old laptop has started making are definitely not normal, and a series of very loud different noises is really not good (like when a PC I had at work just destroyed the hard drive).

A little light clicking is not a problem
  5. gekko513 macrumors 603

Oct 16, 2003
    Most hard drives makes crackling noises when reading or writing. My 12" PowerBook also makes a click, or short crackle if you like, every 10 seconds or so, even if I don't use it. This is normal. You should only worry if the sound changes ... if it gets louder or some new crackle-type develops :)
  6. Jennifer thread starter macrumors member

Feb 20, 2004
    Thanks for your feedback!

It is as you all have described: light (although sometimes a little less than light) crackling or even a close to a grinding-like sound when the crackles come all in a row. And even a crackle or two every once in a while when I'm doing absolutely nothing. No ca-chunking.

But . . . why then in the Apple Store did I not hear anything at all when holding my ear up to a restarted PB 12". OK, granted it is a bit loud in there but I listened very closely. And why did they tell me that similar sounds on my Clamshell iBook meant that the hard drive was going???

Are the increasing of these sounds related to old age and thus expected? (And I do meant the computer's age . . . )

7. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

Sep 15, 2003
    St Helens, UK
    Under large strain it sounds like crackling noises, rice crispies...yah thats a nice way to describe it.

hey if you think the PB is loud, u should listen to my friends ibook, now thats loud in the crunching a packet of crisps loud :)