Hard Drive on iBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by topspin98, Feb 13, 2005.

1. topspin98 macrumors member

Can you get a hard drive bigger than the ones they offer when you purchase and iBook? So like I have 80GB right no, but can i upgrade to maybe a 180GB or any higher one? Im concerned about if it would fit in my iBook G4, 12" Display.

Jake

12" iBook G4, 512 RAM, 80GB Hard Drive. iPod Mini

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think the largest laptop drive (2.5") on the market is 100GB, possibly 120GB. Any 2.5" drive should fit in your iBook.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The real question Jake is what you plan to do with the iBook -- do you need large storage on the road?

iBooks are a pain to open and replace drives in; and you will get only an incremental improvement in size with the largest 2.5's available.

Consider adding an external Firewire drive. You will get:
    redundancy - you can make backups and have an OS on it ready to boot in case of trouble

larger size /lower cost - external drives are much lower $/Gb than laptop drives

preservation of investment - you still keep the 80 GB you have now

data portability - want to finish editing your movie on a G5 dual processor? not problem, just take the Firewire drive with you

In everyday use, you can move you older projects/files/applications that aren't used constantly to the external drive, and keep your current projects on the internal drive.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, just check the adds as well, you can get a Hitachi internal drive for $40 from Best Buy and then get an enclosure for another $40 :D I may just do that myself today, good luck.