Hard Drive Partition

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jcoffman78, Feb 4, 2007.

1. jcoffman78 macrumors newbie

I realize this may be a stupid question but here goes...I have recently installed Windows XP with Boot Camp and now realize more than ever how much I hate XP and was wondering if it were possible to remove that partition all together from the hard drive, and I guess have it added back to my Mac OS side. I think i know the answer but just want to be sure.

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yep, run Boot Camp Assistant and select "Restore the startup disk to a single volume" :)

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

If I might add, after you do this, as a precaution it might be a good idea to then boot off the Mac OS install disk and use Disk Utilities to repair your boot volume.

The reason that I say this, is as of late I have been doing this quite a bit; that is using Boot Camp to create a Windows partition then using Boot Camp to delete the partition. Sometimes, afterwards the Mac hesitates on boot up trying to find the correct boot partition.

Just an idea for you to consider.

4. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

SpookTheHamster

I agree. When I removed my Windows partition and then tried to create a new partition, Disk Utility couldn't do it and told me to repair.

5. jcoffman78 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks...Now I feel like an ass for not doing that before. GO COLTS!!!!!!!!

6. shadokastur macrumors newbie

I have a similar question but I'm not sure if the details will change anything, seeing as I'm just now learning about computers:

I just purchased a Western Digital MyBook 250g external hard drive with Fire Wire. I'm trying to move my band's .wav files from a mac to my friend's windows set up (for some scratch tracks) and the mac os was not recognizing the hard drive. "The handshake" was going on but the icon did not mount.

Can I partition this MyBook to have a Mac and a windows partition? And If so, how would I go about it?

7. drdoomIQ macrumors newbie

alright i have the same sort of problem, i made a Linnux partition a while back, and now i want to get rid of it, however boot camp assistant will not open, and i get this message:

The startup disk cannot be partitioned or returned to a single partition

The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows.

What exactly does this mean, and what can i do to remove the linnux partition that is wasting a large amount of space

8. Illicit macrumors 6502

repair won't fix it. it's a lame ongoing problem that apple has failed to address since 2-3 years ago.

i had to purchase iDefrag. After running it once, everything returned to normal and I could create a new windows partition.
    if you can't afford iDefrag, you could always reformat your HD, but it's a sh*tty solution, I know.