Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Idioteque

macrumors member
Original poster
May 5, 2005
Hey guys, I just picked up a 160g Lacie FW drive. My powerbook was about down to 10 gigs free. I am going to use the external for all my music, Livetype effects, motion effects, backup, and video capture. Should I partition this drive. I never have done it before. What is the beneift of partitioning. THanks In Advance.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Partitioning might be useful for the video capture part. Anything that produces enormous files in a short amount of time will be affected somewhat by fragmentation, so it's always nice to have an empty disk or partition set aside. To get a nice, clean chunk of contiguous free space, just delete all the scratch files on that partition and start over.

H&Kie

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2004
I got a small partition (10 GB) on my external disk myself and did a fresh OSX install on it, so I can boot from it in case my (or one of my friends) harddive fails. It's also a safe way to keep system backups.
Partitioning is really simply: Open Disk Utility, select your external, choose the number of partitions and drag them to the size of your choice.

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
I would set up a partion for backup purposes. You can use CarbonCopyCloner or SD to make a bootable backup (it will erase any data in the partion before making the backup, thus why you'd want to partition it so you only lose the data in that partion and not the whole drive). Then if something goes wrong with your computer you have something to fall back on. I've already used mine a few times now since upgrading to Tiger

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.