Hard Drive Plans

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Ashapalan, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

Okay,

I have a rev D powerbook and its 60-gig drive is pretty much eaten up. I’ve filled it, still got 15 gig left but I’ve been advised to keep 10 gig free for the laptops sake.

As of yet, I still haven’t backed up my hard drive, but I’m coming into some money to be able to open some options.

The problem is, I purchased a laptop so that I could have everything with me everywhere.

My plan is to buy a portable hard drive which I CAN take with my everywhere which doesn’t need a power source and that will remain plugged in constantly.

As well as this, I was going to also get a big hard drive (LaCie most prob) with which to backup the laptop hard drive and also the new portable hard drive. This would stay at home.

Is this a good plan, or does anyone have any better ideas either through stunning intelligence or own personal experience.

Thanks.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Sounds like a good plan to me. A small 80 GB 2.5" portable Firewire drive and a large 300-400 GB 3.5 Firewire storage drive for home.

3. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

If you can afford it sounds like a great plan :)

4. nsheikh80 macrumors regular

nsheikh80

You could always try to upgrade the HD inside your PB. I will be doing this very soon. I going to upgrade my PB's 60GB to 100GB.

5. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Another option...

You could consider upgrading the internal drive to 100Gb (possibly 120Gb) and buying an external 2.5" firewire enclosure for the "old" internal 60Gb. You'll likely be able to back-up your personal files on to the 60Gb. When more money shows up on your doorstep you could then buy the external 200+ Gb drive. This is what I did with an old internal drive and I'm pretty happy.

6. Ashapalan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeh, thanks for the ideas guys.

I might for now just get a portable external, and then go from there.

As always, i appreciate the help.