Hard Drive Problem with my PC

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Shrek, Mar 2, 2003.

1. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

I am having a problem with my computer. It seems as if though it can no longer detect the hard disk drive, as it will boot from a floppy and CD-ROM but not from the hard drive.

I did not format the hard drive. The operating system (Win2K) should still be properly installed on it. I didn't hear a crash, so it can't be a head crash. I checked the BIOS and it is properly configured to boot from the hard drive. I disconnected the cables (that run from the motherboard) from the hard drive and reconnected them. I even removed the battery and reinstalled it. Nothing has worked. I've tried everything I could think of.

It's also quite ironic that this happened while I was trying to install RedHat Linux after downloading it from the Internet. I was booting from a floppy that I made from an image file and installing Linux from ISO images on my hard drive. This problem came to my attention after I realized that I couldn't access the hard drive to get the ISO images from. Bummer.

My computer is out of warranty, so I can't call Dell and ask for help. I'm thinking about taking my computer to CompUSA to get it fixed, but am hoping for a cheaper way out.

Yes, my computer is a PC. It's all I've got, except for my parents' computer. I want to get a Mac, but can't afford one right now. Perhaps this will give me an excuse to get a Mac now rather than wait for the 970. Please have sympathy for me and, HELP!!!...

2. losfp macrumors regular

What errors is it giving you?

Were you trying to install a dual-boot system with redhat? I know that if you try that, you CAN completely bugger up your boot sector etc by selecting the wrong settings. I can't remember the install procedure exactly, but see if yo ucan load up the redhat installer again and this time select the option to let it boot off the windows boot thingie.

sorry if I'm vague, it's been a while since I played with linux :) I ran into that exact problem on my IBM notebook - just wouldn't boot up after installing redhat.

3. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

I can't get to that screen because it won't let me past the part where I locate the ISO files on the hard drive.

4. awulf macrumors 6502

Does the BIOS actually see the hard drive?

If it doesn't it could be the logic board of the HD died, or the IDE bus that the HD is connected to died.Or you may have a faulty cable. Does the HD spin up? Does the HD flash it's lights?

If the bios does see it, Try using fdisk in MSDOS to detect the HD and to repartition it, and then to format it in MS DOS.

If you still have problems, connect a different HD to the computer, or connect that HD to another computer. Is the Master and Slave master set correctly etc...

5. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

I'm not sure how to tell if the BIOS actually sees the hard drive.

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

When booting it says for more ____ press F (10?) I think Its 10.
    and then it loads you into that.

For Slave 1 (primary) if it has something there it sees your HD, if not... um.... check if the wires are in properly because.

YOU HAVE YOURSELF A PROBLEM.

7. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

I just checked and no, the BIOS does not see the hard drive. I already checked the cables.

8. losfp macrumors regular

ah, if BIOS can't even see the HDD then you have serious problems. Definitely try swapping in a known working HDD to see if the drive or your controller is at fault.

9. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

sorry, don't have an HDD to swap.

Looks like this crappy PC is on it's way to the CompUSA repair shop! :D

10. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Not crapUSA!
    :eek:

They might 'accidentally' fry your motherboard like my they did to my friends comp.

'Sir, we fixed your monitor'
    'Great, when can I pick it up'
    'There seems to be another problem'
    '...What do you mean?'
    'Um...uh... The CPU burnt'
    ':drops phone:'

11. awulf macrumors 6502

Try unplugging the HD from its BUS and then plugging the CD-ROM drive into that BUS (there are usually two BUS's on the motherboard).

If the CD-ROM drive still works, then it's the HD.

12. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Also, make sure that the data and power cables are all very securely plugged in. I made that mistake once and it took me a day to figure it out:rolleyes:

13. Shrek thread starter macrumors 65816

Shrek

Ok, I disconnected the cable from the hard drive and motherboard inside my computer and reconnected it and now the hard drive shows up in the BIOS, but it still won't boot from it. It asks me to insert a floppy every time I try to boot the computer. HELP!!! :eek:

14. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

you have hosed your bootsector.

do you have your win2k install/repair disc still? if so, give that a try at fixing.

if not, you need to start from scratch. install win2k leaving room for RH, and then install RH for you dual boot setup. make sure that /boot for redhat does not go into the boot sector. you need win2k to own that if you want to dual boot. i just use the win2k utility for picking which OS to start at boot. using lilo or grub to launch windows is a bit tricky to do...

you really should download and burn the iso files to cd to install RH though. much safer way to things.

good luck! :)