Hard Drive Question For Power Mac G4 (mirrored doors)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Aldaris, Jan 20, 2005.

1. macrumors 65816

Aldaris

I've been looking to upgrade the storage in my Power Mac G4 (and someday just turn it into a server) and was just wondering where I could find some ATA/66 drives for the front hard drive bays, any help or input would be greatly appriciated. Thank you all.

-Aldaris
    Dual 1.25 GHz G4 PowerMac
    80GB + 200GB ATA/100
    AirPort
    SuperDrive + ComboDrive

17" 1.5GHz G4 PowerBook
    80GB
    AirPort Extreme
    SuperDrive

40GB 4G

2. macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....you don't have to use ATA-66 - you can use ATA-100, which there always seems to be deals on....keep an eye on http://www.dealmac.com or Deals on the Web - there's drive deals posted there just about every day....oh yeah!

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

Aldaris

Thanks Duff-Man... ... ... but...

I've tried an ATA/100 in the front bays, and it won't show up in the finder...
    In the manual it says ATA/100's can only go in the rear bay only...(pg.68).
    Is there a special cable select mode?

Thanks Again

4. macrumors G3

If the drive is not jumpered correctly, you will have issues. The drive should be labeled with jumper information - if not it should've come with a booklet. In worst case, the drive manufacturers website should have the info.

I have ATA/100 drives on the ATA/66 bus and ATA/133 drives on the ATA/100 bus. (On an MDD FW800 model.)

5. macrumors 6502

An ATA 100 drive will work on a 66 bus. Unless you specificly need to have your drive on Cable Select for something, go with either Master or Slave. It will save you trouble trying to figure out why a drive dosen't show up.

6. macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

RTFM

The MDD manual says to jumper the hard drives as "cable select." I haven't had any problems with the ATA 100 drives in the front of mine.