Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 12, 2002
i know this may be pretty simple but the book is new and i don't want to f*** it up.....

is there a way to remove the hard drive icon from the desktop? I have moved a shortcut for it to the dock, but would like to clean my desktop of any icons. Thanks for the help.

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
Re: hard drive question

Originally posted by makkystyle
i know this may be pretty simple but the book is new and i don't want to f*** it up.....

is there a way to remove the hard drive icon from the desktop? I have moved a shortcut for it to the dock, but would like to clean my desktop of any icons. Thanks for the help.

while in the finder go to the "finder" option in your menbar. choose preferences. at the top there is a section titled "show these items on the desktop" uncheck the box next to hard drives.

Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Yep

Under Finder>Preferences.

Uncheck "Show Hard Drives"

That should do it.

Regards,
Gus

Edit; Lemon you beat me by a coiple of seconds! :)

Over Achiever

macrumors 68000
There's a freeware program that automatically takes all the icons on your desktop and sticks them into the dock...I'm guessing thats what you want to do.

Sorry I don't have much time on my hands, but if you do a little searching I'm sure you can find it. Seems to be a nifty piece of freeware. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.