Hard Drive questions

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bpd115, Jan 29, 2004.

1. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

I'm about to purchase my dual G5...I'm waiting until after the superbowl, if Apple updates I'll order the mid range, if no updates, I'm going with the Refurb Dual 2.0.

Anyway, I plan to add in a Western Digital Raptor (10,000 RPM, 4.5 ms seek time)
    I want to make it the primary drive and place the 160 GB as the secondary.

After I install it, is there a way to 'clone' the drive to the Raptor, similar to the way Ghost works on the PC?

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yes, use CarbonCopyCloner (search versiontracker.com). But, assuming you install the drive at the same time, just install fresh from the CDs, it will just be an easier way to do it-- the install CDs will provide you with exactly what is on the drive when it ships.

paul

3. bpd115 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bpd115

I'll have to check my funds at the time I'm ordering the G5.....I want the 76 gig raptor which is about 250.00....If I get it at the same time as the G5, I'll do the clean install.....

if not it seems carbon copy cloner may be the way to go....I wasn't sure if disk utility had any way to do this....

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    yeah like paul said, better to run a fresh install from the cds, since u got no data on the drives anyway

more of a side comment, if u have an extensive itunes library you might run into a some space constraints with the raptor (thats a scsi drive right)

is there a way for the itunes library to be stored on a the secondary drive.

5. bpd115 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bpd115

Well, the Raptor is a 10,000 RPM Serial ATA drive...I'd keep my music on the 160 gig..

Currently all my music is on my PC (I have about 20 gigs worth, 4000 + Songs)...

What I did was on my iMac (80 gig 1ghz) I checked the option in iTunes not to copy the music to the iTunes library folder, then I added all the music from my PC....

so when I click on a song in itunes, it mounts the networked "music" share right on the desktop and works quite nicely (burning works fine, imove picks up the songs, etc.)

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    oh k thanks for the clarification. learn something everyday.

7. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

iTunes also has the option of moving your music folder. I moved mine out of my home directory into /Music - that way I can back up my home directory to my iPod regularly without unnecessarilly backing up my music (since the tunes are already on the iPod).