Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CptBucky

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Hi,

I have an Airport Extreme which is wonderful and does the job well. I've been thinking about upgrading to a Time Capsule because what I want is some extra storage for my rMBP.

I thought about partitioning a Time Capsule and using the extra partition as storage. However, what I really would like is a rack-like tower to slot some 3.5" Hard Drives into.

I have a 3TB HDD and a few others. I would like a rack (with Ethernet-out) where I could just slot my Hard Drives into and access them over my network.

Does anybody know of any such hardware that could do this for me? All I have been able to find so far are server-storage solutions which are very expensive.

All I want is an empty rack with, say, four 3.5" HDD slots that could connect to my network via Ethernet.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

Tom

macdaddy001

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Synology Disks Station

Buy a Synology Diskstation or a similiar NAS box

Hi,

I have an Airport Extreme which is wonderful and does the job well. I've been thinking about upgrading to a Time Capsule because what I want is some extra storage for my rMBP.

I thought about partitioning a Time Capsule and using the extra partition as storage. However, what I really would like is a rack-like tower to slot some 3.5" Hard Drives into.

I have a 3TB HDD and a few others. I would like a rack (with Ethernet-out) where I could just slot my Hard Drives into and access them over my network.

Does anybody know of any such hardware that could do this for me? All I have been able to find so far are server-storage solutions which are very expensive.

All I want is an empty rack with, say, four 3.5" HDD slots that could connect to my network via Ethernet.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks,

Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.