Hard Drive Reccomendations

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by greg5000, Jan 23, 2004.

1. greg5000 macrumors newbie

Jan 23, 2004
    I want to know what the best hard drive would be if im using Final Cut Pro.
  2. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    hmmm are u asking brand or specs?

if yor really serious ull get a scsi but thats like a whole new thing

but 7200 rpm drives with 8 mb buffer
    should be good for storage and doing editing, i assume ur ona power mac. if not you might wanna hook it up to a firewire 400 ex case or even better a 800, they wont ever reach those speeds currently, but there is a slight performance edge of the 800 over the 400

my personal preferences for drive brands
    1. western digital
    2. seagate
    those are the only two i would buy maxtor well i have had a bad experience with maxtor but i know people who sweart by them so jbut most big name brands are pretty reliable.
  3. greg5000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 23, 2004
    Thanks for your advice Virividox!
    I have Power mac G4 dual GHz proccesser.
  4. pinto32 macrumors 6502

Oct 19, 2003
    Basically any of the major brands are gonna be fine. Personally, I have always bought (and loved) IBM's, but now that they sold their operation to Hitachi, that is no longer an option. Basically, general rule is to get one that is 7200 RPM (although some of the the really large drives(150+ GB) do as good or even better with only 5200 RPM). The other major factor to look at is the cache. 1MB is pretty much the minimum you will see, but some have up to 8MB+. No surprise here: the more cache the better....

As far as interface goes, ATA-133 is the best option for the G4. SCSI has a small performance advantage over it, but it is absurdly expensive, and is "on its way out."

One other thing to note: if you are the kind of person who is very concerned about warrenty coverage, then you will want to pay extra close attention to the fine print. In order to preseve their profits, most companies have been pulling back on the basic warrenty coverage for their low and mid-range models.

If you want to see some good info, check out these sites:

www.tomshardware.com (personal favorite)
  5. greg5000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jan 23, 2004