Hard Drive Repair Software

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ingenious, Mar 20, 2007.

1. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    My USB HD is on the blink and I"m looking for a hopefully free software solution to at least allow me to copy files off of it... I'm open to any suggestions.

2. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Free? Go to your local mac software store, walk out with a copy of diskwarrior under your raincoat.

Is it your drive, or the enclosure? pop another drive in it, see if it works, or pop that drive in another enclosure and try it.

3. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

GRC's SpinRite has been touted over and over again as the best hard drive recovery software available. I've seen it do absolutely amazing things, although I've never used it myself. I'm not sure how it handles USB drives though...and it's not free, but it's worth it if the drive is important to you.

4. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    It's pretty important, but I just can't afford to shell out US$100 for DiskWarrior, although from what I've seen, it looks like the best option. It's just an external USB hard drive, that is, it's not an enclosure.

Thanks for your help.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

What do you mean a USB hard drive not an enclosure?

A USB hard drive generally consists of a 2.5" or 3.5" IDE hard drive in an enclosure with a USB bridge board. Most enclosures, even if they were purchased as a 'complete' unit, can be opened and thr drive taken out (will void some warranties, note)