Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wozzerage

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2013
I have recently purchaced a 1TB 2.5" Samsung 5400rpm SATA II from amazon on the strength that the reviews said that it would work in my Macbook Pro (purchased early 2010)
I have removed my 160GB Hitatchi that was standard issue when i bought the macbook pro.

When i have turned my mac back on the apple logo with spinning loading wheel has come up and then a flashing folder with a question mark, i then turned off my mac, inserted my mac start up disk and restarted my mac for it to show the apple symbol and loading wheel. it lasts around 30secs-1min then turns off my mac again without me pressing anything?

Any help will be gratefully received as i need my mac for university work!

Cheers

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Follow the steps below.

How to Clean Install OS X

Part One: Partitioning the hard drive

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install DVD into the optical drive, or insert the Software Reinstall Drive into the USB port.
  2. Turn on or restart the computer.
  3. Press and hold the Option key at startup to select the volume containing the installer.
  4. If your are using a wireless mouse, a mouse icon should appear asking you to turn the mouse on so that the computer can discover it.
  5. Select a language, then press the right arrow key.
  6. Click the Utilities menu, the choose Disk Utility.
  7. In the box to the left Select your hard drive.
  8. Click the Partition tab.
  9. Under Volume Scheme choose "1 Partition" (This will Erase the Entire drive, including Boot Camp Partitions)
  10. Click the Options button and make sure "GUID Partition Table" is selected.
  11. To the right of Format choose "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".
  12. To the right of Name Type "Macintosh HD".
  13. Click Apply.
  14. After the partition is formatted, choose Quit Disk Utility from the Disk Utility menu.

Part Two: Installing the operating system

1. When the Mac OS X Installer screen appears, click Continue.
  2. When the license agreement appears, click Agree.
  3. Select the disk you partitioned. It should now be highlighted with a green arrow.
  4. Click Install. A status bar appears on the bottom of the screen while Mac OS X installs.
  5. An Additional Information screen appears, advising you that you operating system has been installed. Click Continue.
  6. An Install Succeeded screen appears. Click Restart.

Original Steps Edited from: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3910

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.