Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ShadowMind

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Washington State
I bought a WD 320 Gig 5400 RPM hard drive for my new White NVIDIA MacBook. I stuck it in an external casing, copied everything to it with the "restore" feature, and swapped out the hard drives. I rebooted the computer with the new hard drive, and it didn't work.

I did some hard drive swapping last year on my old MacBook and everything was a breeze. I don't know what I did wrong this time. Any ideas?

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
I suspect that the NVidea MacBook uses a different OSX build of 10.5.6 and while it will allow you to restore the disk it won't start up because you have copied over what is an earlier build of OSX.

Sounds as if you may need to do a install and restore from the system discs that came with your new MacBook....

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
I bought a WD 320 Gig 5400 RPM hard drive for my new White NVIDIA MacBook. I stuck it in an external casing, copied everything to it with the "restore" feature, and swapped out the hard drives.

Did you create a bootable clone onto the new HD in the enclosure? What program did you use?

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Start up the computer with the OSX install disk inside, holding c button down. Then when the options come up, choose to "upgrade" your version of OSX. If that doesn't work, go to advanced or further options and choose to "archive and install" the new version. Both of these options will maintain your personal files and things should work flawlessly.

ShadowMind

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2007
Washington State
Start up the computer with the OSX install disk inside, holding c button down. Then when the options come up, choose to "upgrade" your version of OSX. If that doesn't work, go to advanced or further options and choose to "archive and install" the new version. Both of these options will maintain your personal files and things should work flawlessly.

Thanks. I am trying the "archive and install" option right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.