Hard drive size

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by furryrabidbunny, Aug 10, 2005.

1. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I have a hard drive with a width of about 4" according to the western digital specs. Is it going to be considered a 3.5" hd or 5.25" when I start looking for enclosures?

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i would say 3.5" my cheapo caddy i use is a bit wider then the HDD so i think you might be OK on this one

i take it you have measured it though ? 3.6/3.8"

3. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I messured it and checked the specs on the western digital website. I already have it out (it is from a friends dell) so I have the serial number and what type of hard drive it is. It is a western digital Caviar WD600 60gig HD. The specs though aren't very helpfull, apparently their drives don't have exact widths? It say 4" +-.01". I figure a 3.5" drive should be what it goes in, seeing the dell I took it out of was a dimension 4600C, one of their small/slim case designs.
    Edit:
    i re-pulled out the ruler, the drive is one with a -.01". it is around 3.9~3.8" in width

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

The physical size (2.5" or 3.5") is that of the platters INSIDE the hard drive :) . They haven't made 5.25" hard drives since the 80s...You will be in search of a 3.5" drive enclosure.

5. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

Great, so I've been measuring the drive plus the drives "enclosure" for lack of a technial term, something you aren't supposed to do. So I guess it is perfectly safe for me to order a 3.5" enclosure then. I have just been putting it off becaues new egg has a horrible return policy, so i don't want to order something I can't use.