Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdbilly

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Fog City
Hi, so my 60G hard drive on a G4 dual 867 running OS10.3.9 starts making noises sometimes. Kind of like static or a "tchhhhhhttchhhhhhtchhhhh" sorta sound, like it's straining to do something. This goes on for a few minutes and happens when I am working. Kind of like the old days when you had a massive file and saved it, except that the files I'm working with now aren't that huge and the systems are much better now. Does anyone have any ideas? I've backed up everything in the case it's the HD about to die, and can still work on things without any other real probs. Any advice would be great. Thanks..

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
Hi, so my 60G hard drive on a G4 dual 867 running OS10.3.9 starts making noises sometimes. Kind of like static or a "tchhhhhhttchhhhhhtchhhhh" sorta sound, like it's straining to do something. This goes on for a few minutes and happens when I am working. Kind of like the old days when you had a massive file and saved it, except that the files I'm working with now aren't that huge and the systems are much better now. Does anyone have any ideas? I've backed up everything in the case it's the HD about to die, and can still work on things without any other real probs. Any advice would be great. Thanks..

That model hard drive in particular happens to suck. Hard drives go bad, no matter what kind of computer you have.

I'd advise buying a new one, using carboncopycloner to copy your data over, and pretending it never happened... though it'll be hard because you'll have way more HD space.

I think you have the MDD model. If so, it has ATA/100 and you can go up to 500gigs if you want for around $200. Obviously you can do less than that, whatever.

kdbilly

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Fog City
Thanks very much for all the info, I've purchased a new HD which is waiting to be installed this weekend. It's more than twice the size of the last one, so I'm pretty stoked. And it was only $60. Can't beat that. Thanks again. kirk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.