Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neilk2350

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
ok with the ssd how much space will i have left? how much can i strip out? will i be able to have the room for a vista partition? should i put vista and other stuff on a seperate bus powered hard drive? how much room for entourage and word added in (no docs)

treacle

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2002
metro New York area
I don't think bootcamp lets you do a partion on an external HD. If you do a bootcamp partition on the HD you can choose the partition size. The SSD formated capacity is 55.45 GB the OS and native apps take up 17 GB on mine, leaving less than 40 GB, I got some back but am considering a clean install.
Why bootcamp, entourage and vista? I have done many installs of XP and I would think they would be much a smaller footprint?
Have you considered vmware fusion or parallels?

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
You could do a 20 gig partition and have a couple gigs left on the partition after the install, but it would be cutting it close. My partition in Vista on my mbp has a 30 gig partition and i only really have office and a few small apps installed. I have around 12 gigs left with all the temp files deleted. Sometimes, the temp files bring it down to about 9 gigs left.

But yeah, a 20 gig partition in vista and the rest in OSX would be your best bet.

neilk2350

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
I don't think bootcamp lets you do a partion on an external HD. If you do a bootcamp partition on the HD you can choose the partition size. The SSD formated capacity is 55.45 GB the OS and native apps take up 17 GB on mine, leaving less than 40 GB, I got some back but am considering a clean install.
Why bootcamp, entourage and vista? I have done many installs of XP and I would think they would be much a smaller footprint?
Have you considered vmware fusion or parallels?

i think vmware or parallels which i own might work. i thought performance suffers greatly running it virtually. honestly i just need to be able to access windows only stuff like netflix and to program my remotes. i have also found on my mbp that vista is much faster on a "N" wifi network (yes i've done a clean install of my mac os. hopefully the mba wont have wifi problems

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.