Hard Drive Speeds on PB

Discussion in 'Games' started by FriarCrazy, Jul 20, 2004.

1. FriarCrazy macrumors regular

Hiya, I'm new, so if I'm posting in the wrong section, please understand... Anyhow, is there a massive difference in gaming performance between the 4200 & 5400 RPM hard drives on the new PBs? I just bought a PB (specs in sig) so I'm interested in its gaming capabilities. Can you bring your PB to the apple store to have the hard drive upgraded, or are you stuck with what you've bought? The game that I really want to play is UT2k4, but I'm not gonna buy it if its going to play like crap...

2. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

It should run ok. Since you have over a gig of ram it will definatly help. The 5400 is definatly noticably faster, well to me it is anyway. If you wanted to game you should of went with the 15". I don't know if apple will upgrade for you.

3. FriarCrazy thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I got it with the intention of not gaming MUCH on it, but I fell more in love with the thing than I ever would have imagined. Plus, I like the size of the 12" more than the 15". I tried the demo UT2k4 and the frame rate was AWFUL (in onslaught mode), however, I have heard that the retail has much better FPS. Is this true?

4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

Yes it is true. The demo was bugged and didn't run very well. The retail version will be much better.

5. benpatient macrumors 68000

you should try the 7200rpm one...oh wait...apple won't let you have one...even though the company that makes PB hard drives offers a 7200rpm model, and has for nearly a year....

nevermind.

6. FriarCrazy thread starter macrumors regular

But is it possible to get your HD in your PB upgraded? Can they open it up and do it, or are you stuck with what you have?

7. benpatient macrumors 68000

oh they can change it...

b ut putting a 7200 rpm drive in there will almost certainly void the warranty...

8. m.r.m. macrumors regular

link discussing exchanging the hdd to a 7200rpm hdd.