Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gtogsx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
New York
A while back I was running low on hard disk space so decided to upgrade my hard drive. Went ahead and upgraded to 320Gb. Then after some time, I noticed that the hard drive was making a large spinning noise so I thought it was a bad drive and RMA'd it. I just recently got the new drive and installed it and the drive was making that same loud spinning noise. Now I'm frustrated with this and want to get to the end of it. I'm thinking it might be the rubbers are out of place that holds the drive. Can anyone help me with this?:confused:

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Some drives are just louder than others. Also, if you went from the factory 5400RPM drive to a 7200RPM drive, that may add some noise.

I'd go back in and double check that your drive has the shielding replaced tightly and that it's securely mounted in the MB body.

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
What model & brand?

I've yet to have this issue with the ST9320421AS. They're good drives, and can be had for under $75 shipped.

upinflames900

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
Some drives are just louder than others. Also, if you went from the factory 5400RPM drive to a 7200RPM drive, that may add some noise.

I'd go back in and double check that your drive has the shielding replaced tightly and that it's securely mounted in the MB body.

Have a 7200rpm drive and am yet to hear it...more depends on the drive itself not simply the speed. Cheep drives may make more noise.

gtogsx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
New York

This is a 5400RPM drive, not a 7200RPM. Also I can tell you it's abnormally loud. I have a 10,000RPM drive on a desktop and I know how loud drives are in their normal state. I will have to open up the case and check to see the drives are locked in there.

gtogsx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2009
New York
What model & brand?

I've yet to have this issue with the ST9320421AS. They're good drives, and can be had for under $75 shipped.

My model is HITACHI Travelstar 5K320 HTS543232L9A300. They were $70 shipped. Got pretty good reviews @ Newegg.com. But in my case I don't think it's the drive since this is my 3rd.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.