hard drive suggestions

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by GigaWire, Mar 20, 2002.

1. GigaWire macrumors 6502

so iBM drives aren't worth their salt. What drives would any of you suggest for the following situatins. IDE drives only please, cant afford SCSI upgrade:

1. run 24 hours, send recieve faxes, terminal, and word processing.

2. written to at least 8 hours a day, at peaks of 3 hours in a row

I've read the reviews, but now i'd like to know what personal experiences you all have had with certain HDS that you'd reccomend or shy away from

thanks

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Maxtor is a well respected brand...

Seagate has also been a good one in the past...

I'm hoping I don't have any worries with my IBM Travelstar....I've been keeping my TiBook asleep more lately during the day and leaving it on for days....but with it actually in use for no more than 4 -5 hours at a time in between 8-12 hour sleep intervals...did that make any sense?! :p

3. Choppaface macrumors 65816

right now I would go with a western digital 120gb or 100gb jumbo buffer. less expensive prolly something from seagate

4. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

untill that artical...

I have always thought of IBM being that best arround. I know at work we order only IBM IDE drives and Segate SCSI and fiber drives. They are all 24/7/365 servers.. and we have had very little problems.

I now have 2 IBM IDE drives in my Mac and no problems... one of them is new. but... after I read that artical.. i wonder about them. I leave my Mac up all the time... for days at a time.

One thing is.. I wonder if the other major brand drives have simmiler spects that the IBM ones do. I mean..... it could just be a standard estimate and only the IBM spects were reported.

5. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

id have to agree with evildead. ibm has always had the highest reliability and reputation. their travelstar and mircrodrives are definitely the pinnacle of ibm's creations and you will notice no other company can produce similiar drives (same size/capacity/speed). this tells me the r&d at ibm is second to none.

i suspect all other companies have this sort of limitation on their drives but do not disclose it as ibm has done.

maxtor was the cheap crappy brand for years and only recently started making quality products (although you can still buy low end maxtors if you are not interested in quality). seagate used to have a great rep but it has been soiled somewhat lately, i still trust seagate though. western digital is another company who only recently started making quality drives. as far as price to quality western is probably the best in fact. they have taken great strides lately to make some very nice drives. still their cheap past discourages some people.

ive always bought ibm in the past, but thats because seagate was always too expensive and maxtor and western digital made crap. scene has kinda changed lately hasnt it? if i were buying now id seriously consider a high end western digital. check out the whats new section at www.transintl.com for lots of information about all the drives and their associated technologies (and some great prices if thats what you are into). i think you are going to find most people here have very mized reviews of various brands. best thing to know is that they all make quality drives right now. wd and maxtor low end drives are just that... low end. and every brand is going to have drives that go bad sometimes. its simply the nature of teh technology that no company has seemed to be able/orwilling to correct.

6. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

I have an 80 GB Western Digital. I did a lot of research before I bought it (about 2 months ago) and it was pretty much the best drive around in that price/size range.

Is it any good? Well, it's never done anything wrong, so yeah. It's good. If your HD never annoys you, it's doing a good job - that's what I always say.