Hard Drive Upgrade for a 1G 5GB?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by noahsnyc, Nov 2, 2004.

1. noahsnyc macrumors regular

Hey -

Been all around (ipodhacks.com,
    ipodlounge.com) and now I've got the come back to the warm blanket that is Macrumors' Forums...

As the proud owner of an original 1G 5GB 'pod, I'm debating whether or not it's worth it to try and upgrade my hard drive, and whether or not it's actually feasible.

Anyone have a link to a specific tutorial and/or definitive information on firmware/software upgrades?

Cheers,

N.

2. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Replacing the haddrive is easy (thinking about the physical part), but
    i haven't seen anyone do it. Therefore:
    There's probably one of two reasons why it is't done:
    1. It can't be done
    2. Its not cost effective

The 5 GB iPods has probably not much juice left in the batteries,
    so new batteries + harddrive would probably cost you about ~$150 (i'm guessing here..)
    I have allready had to solder twice inside my ipod (changing the headphone mini-jack connecion). Portable electronics have a average lifetime of 18-24 months, you iPod is probably over 30 months old.

If is still working, you can probably sell it or give it away to someone (the someone will probably be very happy too)

3. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

just get the cheapest 4g. small and very very new! (compared to yours)

4. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Is your 5GB hd still working in this iPod? If so, would you be willing to sell the 5GB hd after upgrading it? My sister has the original 5GB iPod and the hd has died on it. The repair places I have seen are charging around $100 to replace/fix this iPod hd. Way too much for such an old iPod. Let me know if you're willing to sell it. Thanks!

5. noahsnyc thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, it works like a charm, still gets about 10 hours of battery life (if I charge it every night).

I would be happy to sell it if I can't find anyone in my immediate circle who is needy (mom).

I probably won't be buying a new one for a while, so in an effort to keep the thread germane, I'll let you know.

N.

6. noahsnyc thread starter macrumors regular

I've seen/heard about HD replacement, and it seems rather possible. My 'pod is still going very strong, getting about 8-10 hours of playback (no backlight) as long as I charge it every day. I just want some more room, is all. While I'd love to get a 4G, there's still a difference to my wallet of $150 for a new HD and battery or $300 for a new iPod...

We'll see.

PS: Your sig. - Nice guitars.

N.

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Do you know anone with a newer iPod?
    If you do, try their hd.
    The hd is connected to a ribbon cable and you can easily open the ipod and change the hd.

:D yeah, i love my guitars (the gibson is my fav..)