Hard Drive Upgrade for iBook G4

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by cygnusgirl, Oct 27, 2004.

1. cygnusgirl macrumors newbie

I was just wondering if it is possible to upgrade my hard drive in my ibook g4. I just have the standard 30 gig drive, and I'm regretting not upgrading before I bought it since now I have my ipod which is 40gig and I'd like to store my music on the hard drive. Is it possible to say take my ibook to an apple retail store and have them upgrade it? if you can, any idea on how much it would be? i know it was only 75 dollars to upgrade to 60 gig if you did it before purchasing, but I'm sure it's gonna be a lot more since I already purchased. I looked on the apple store and all they had were external hard drives and i'd prefer not to do that unless i absolutely have to. Thanks so much for any information!

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I'm pretty sure that Apple Stores will not do a drive swap for you. However, the local CompUSA would do a HD replacement and according to the salesman, the warranty stays intact. I forget how much they were charging, but I'm sure it was more than I was willing to pay at the time.

I realize that you don't want to do the replacement yourself, but it's not really that hard. I just replaced my 10GB HD with a 40GB one and it's a great upgrade. The HD cost $100 and the FW case for the old HD was $25. 3 hours or so of my labor, and I have a rejeuvenated iBook.

Maybe a local Apple Reseller will be willing to do the work for less than CompUSA. Double check the warranty issue, though.

3. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

Does it void the warranty when you do it yourself?

4. jap4n macrumors member

hrmm i thought that adding a hdd was a CIP (Customer installable part)? and only voids the warrenty if you damage anything in the process.

i'm going to install a 60gb 7200rpm (8mb cache) into my g4 ibook. I'v added hdd's to powerbooks before so im pretty confident in doing it. Its really easy actually. Undo screws, remove case, unplug drive, plug in new drive, case up, screw together. done. hopefully ;)

yeah i'd say that apple would charge you a fair bit

5. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Not on Apple's laptops. The only CIP's are Airport Cards and RAM.

6. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Replacing HD in iBook's have never been a CIP. Older Powerbooks were, but they haven't been since the intro of the Aluminum PBs.

The new iMac's HD is customer installable, however.

BTW, replacing the iBook's HD is not as simple as you've hoped it to be. There are many steps, many screws, difficultly pried cases, etc. It's difficult, but not as impossible as some have made it out to be.

And it will definately void your warranty. If you attempt it, you'll know why. Apple should have made it much easier to replace the HD in the first place. There's no reason for it to be as difficult as it is.

7. cygnusgirl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. But if it is true, like ftaok says, that the apple store won't do it, how would i go about upgrading my hard drive without for sure voiding the warranty? There has to be a way apple could do it isn't there? I don't know about CompUSA, unless they are specifically apple techs, because i was reading the warranty, and it said only a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider could do it without voiding the warranty. Ahhhh! lol Well thanks for all the info guys, and if you have any ideas on how I could get that done, let me know!