Hard Drive upgrade Fujitsu

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jaws01, Dec 14, 2006.

1. jaws01 macrumors member

I need more space in my macbook and they have a sale at my local best buy here in Canada for a 120 GB Fujitsu laptop hard drive. What are do you guys think about using a Fujitsu in my macbook?

2. nermal0 macrumors regular

I can recommend the 120 GB Western Digital SATA drive which I'm using in my MB. It's fast and dead silent!

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I am in London. I am looking for a HD of around that size for my macbook. Where should I buy a HD (cheap/reliable) and what model should I get?

4. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

I replaced 2 fujitsu hard drives in 2 different iBooks. I would stay away from them. These drives had light use, and no abuse and still failed in the same way, slow death.

Seagate or Western Digital would be the way to go.

5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Hitachi 160GB works!

I use Hitachi drives. The 160GB 5400rpm drive works great in my MB.

6. MaaseyRacer macrumors regular

Western digital is pure crap. Seagate is the only drive company out there worth getting. Go review the speed tests.

7. DaLurker macrumors 6502

I just did a similar upgrade by going to Costco and purchasing the WD Passport 120gb. If you're in Toronto head over to the Markham Costco. You can remove the SATA drive that inside and install it in your Macbook. Worked great for me! Just note that some drives are not EIDE and it is very much luck of the draw which drive you actually get although most of the Costco's seems to carry SATA drives now.

Incidentally a lot of local computer shops have started carrying 120gb SATA 2.5" drives for around $120.

My recommendation is NOT to buy from Best Buy. They're often obnoxiously overpriced.

To answer your original question though, there should be no problem putting a 120gb Fujitsu drive.

8. Reel1 macrumors member

Reel1

I am also looking for a new HD something like a 100-160g Sata 7200.

I am also in the Toronto area

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I had to replace the original disk on my MacBook, after it just died without a warning. I think that was a Fujitsu... the replacement is a Toshiba, and so far it seems to be working...

I'm considering getting this one. Trying to wait for a 200+ GB disk (I have a 120 now), and preferably a Seagate Momentus, but I'm quickly running out of space, and I'm not sure I'll be able to wait... :eek:

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I like the Seagate Momentus drives - 5 year warranty. 120 Mb 8 Mb cache 5400 RPM CAN$159

Gotta watch BestBuy - they sometimes rebrand the drives under the "Pine" label and you only get 1 year warranty because they are OEM drives.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

11. southbark macrumors regular

12. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

13. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Screw WD, get seagate, I was vouching for WD bcz of cheap price.. until my 250 died on me and only had a 2 year warranty. Seagates have 5 years as mentioned above, they are more reliable and much better value.

14. southbark macrumors regular

15. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

16. Reel1 macrumors member

Reel1

Just got and installed my new Seagate 7200 sata... works perfect.:D

17. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

100GB? I'm sure you notice a performance increase but what about temp? does it run hotter or the same?

One more question, where did you buy it and how much? I'm in the market for a HD, looking at either Seagate or Hitachi 160GB

18. Reel1 macrumors member

Reel1

I purchased the HD a small computer store near my home. The price 168. canadian.

If I have done my homework correctly, currently the 100g is the largest 7200 sata drive you can get for a laptop.

Heat what heat? :cool: at present the temp is 52c which is close to what it was with the 60G, This is also while running parallels, word, safari and reading some of these posts.

So far So good...

19. Reel1 macrumors member

Reel1

I personally chose the Seagate for its speed and 5 year warranty, but the 160g looks good as well.

20. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

Went with the Seagate. I guess I really don't need the 160 since I already have an external...it was tempting though.

21. Reel1 macrumors member

Reel1