Hard Drive Upgrade; how to transfer?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GFLPraxis, Feb 20, 2007.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I've got a MacBook Core Duo (2 GHz White model) and have been thinking of doing some major upgrades. The hard drive is pretty much full; 10 GB FAT32 partition for Boot Camp, and the 50 GB partition is down to 5 GB free. I have an external 250 GB firewire Lacie drive I transfer videos I'm not using to, otherwise it'd be totally full.

I was thinking about doing some upgrades...say, 2 GB of RAM and a 160 GB hard drive (or maybe 200). But I need to know the feasibility first.

I would like everything to remain exactly as it is now, just gain more space. From what I know, Carbon Copy Cloner is the way to do this; put the 160 GB drive in a portable enclosure (USB or FireWire), and clone the original disk to it.

My questions are these:

1) Carbon Copy Cloner is not Intel native or Universal. Will problems arise using the PowerPC version to clone an Intel install?

2) I assume CCC is free because I can not find any pricing on their web page. Is this correct?

3) Will CCC only clone the Mac partition, or will it also clone the Windows side of things so I don't lose that stuff either?

Thanks!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

1) I recommend using SuperDuper! instead, which is Intel-native. Though it's not free, you can use the unregistered version to do as much basic cloning as you like.

2) CCC is free - but like I said, SuperDuper! is better.

3) Unfortunately, these cloning utilities won't clone Boot Camp (Windows) partitions for the simple reason that they don't understand the filesystem they use. You're probably going to have to use a Windows utility while booted into Windows to clone the Windows partition :(

3. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

4. HugMnster macrumors member

So did it clone the whole drive or just the OS X part of it.

jack

5. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

every single thing from my HD was copied. It was like more HD space magically appeared.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube