Hard Drive Upgrade Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drummerbooker14, Aug 15, 2006.

1. drummerbooker14 macrumors 6502

drummerbooker14

i am upgrading the hard drive in my macbook(black) and would like to know some cheap ones that work for it. preferably mor than 150 Gigs

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

There are only two 160 GB hard drives on the market that are compatible with the MacBook that I'm aware of: the Seagate Momentus 5400.3 and the Hitachi 5K160. I've believe the Hitachi is available for about $220 from NewEgg while the Seagate is usually about $280 from most vendors. Be sure you get the SATA version instead of the PATA (or ATA) version...only the SATA version works in the MacBook.

3. knopix macrumors member

Your choices are very limited, like WildCowboy said there's very few drives currently available that would work in the MacBook.
    It'll be a few months before more drives are available, for the time being the 160Gb drive is the largest one you can get.

Black MacBook hard drive guide

4. manic macrumors regular

Ive noticed apple itself does not offer 160gb upgrade options at its website, not even for the MBP. Will these drives also enable the motion sensor feature of those machines to function?

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes, the SMS mechanism is separate from the hard drive.

6. meanpeoplesuck macrumors member

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

No...it's a desktop drive.

MacBooks use 2.5" SATA drives.