Hard Drive usage by file or App?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by newmacconvert06, Sep 27, 2006.

1. newmacconvert06 macrumors newbie

newmacconvert06

Is there a way to see what files or apps are using "X" amount of space on the Harddrive? I am about three weeks old in the world of Apple and I just started playing with making DVDs out of home movies. I'd like to be able to check if there is something using a lot of space that I don't really need.

Thanks for any help you can give!:confused:

2. newmacconvert06 thread starter macrumors newbie

newmacconvert06

Thanks!

:D Omnidisksweeper looks like the ticket - I did notice though that the filevault shows as another drive. Does this mean that I cut my harddrive in half? I wouldn't think it would but seeing two drives instead of the one kind of scares me.

Is the filevault needed? I am still used to Windows/PC crap...

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes, FileVault is a separate disk image. I'm sure people who do use it will show up in this thread, but I don't know a single person who uses it. I suppose it's good if you have nuclear launch codes, but my data isn't quite that important to me that I would want to deal with the pain of FileVault.

4. newmacconvert06 thread starter macrumors newbie

newmacconvert06

:rolleyes:
    Yeah, ok I can see your point. I'm still just nervous about the whole not needed security since my luck would cause me to be the "First" apple to be attacked.

No launch codes though (just WMD):D :D :D

Thanks!