Hard drives, partitioning, and other interesting stuff

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ifjake, Nov 28, 2004.

1. ifjake macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    stick with me, but i think i feel a rambling coming on.

i was thinking about getting an iPod for christmas, however i became disinterested once i discovered that no one had come up with a way to record quality stereo with it, only mono voice memos. whopideedoo. but now i'm thinking a more useful and slightly more affordable alternative might be to upgrade my stock 4200 RPM 40Gb powerbook hard drive to one of those hitachi travelstar 60Gb 7200 RPM laptop drives. half the price of an iPod. (sorry apple. the iPod seems little more than a mere fad to me right now). but i'm wondering what would be the best strategy for installing and using this drive. i definitely want to keep my applecare warrantee, i've gotten good use out of that (replaced RAM, 3 logic boards, display, hard drive, pretty much everything but the case). so i'll probably head over to the nearby apple store and have them stick it in for me. which leads me to my first question:

1) should i partition my drive, and how so? i've heard of these many gigabytes go to the OS these many to applications these many for data, and other similar variations of two or three partitions. but i'm definitely open to any recommendations you have here, on size and number and function of partitions and whatnot. if this has any impact, i'm into digital audio recording, although i will probably record sound data to an external drive at some point in the future.

another issue would be how i would transfer my data over to the new drive. i would probably buy an enclosure for the old drive and use it for backup purposes, but with added partitions and all on the new drive i'm not sure just making a mirror image would work. so i'm thinking possibly i reinstall panther from disc to the OS partition should i choose to make one (if i make partitions that would be the most likely), then reinstall all my applications again from disc, then mount the old drive in it's enclosure and transfer my home directory via firewire. which leads to my second question:

2) would that be a good way to do it? would there actually be any advantage to reinstalling my apps from disc over transferring them from the old drive like i would my home directory, or would i just be wasting my time?

any comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
  2. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    Partitioning your drive wont be any use to you. Get an external drive and use it to store anything you want a backup of.

And the iPod is not being marketed as a music recorder, its a music player.
  3. ifjake thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
    yeah i've started reading around, and partitions are generally seen as only good for seperating OS 9 and X. and applecare didn't put 9 back on my drive when they replaced it. so no partition it is, i guess. besides with only 60 Gb the likelyhood of one of the partitions running out of space is high.

eh the iPod doesn't do what i want it to do. oh well. i might verywell go through with this hard drive purchase though. i'm going to sit on it a while.
  4. crees! macrumors 68000

Jun 14, 2003
    I have a PB w/ an 80GB harddrive and am about to buy an external drive to make system backups but that won't be it's only use. This is where I'm thinking of using partitions. Say I buy a 200GB external. My idea was to create a "backup" partition just slightly larger than 80GBs for my laptop's HD. The other partition was going to be used to capture video and use as extra storage.

So I think you shouldn't discount partitions as just for mixed OS X/9 systems.
  5. California macrumors 68040

Aug 21, 2004
    I had great luck with my 5400 rpm Travelstar 40 gig upgrade on my tibook.

I just read somewhere that if an apple tech installs your hd, you don't void the warranty but I am not sure.

I think I would pop the faster Travelstar into an enclosure until Applecare ran out if I were you.

I put my old 4200 gig hd in such an enclosure -- it works great. By the way, the stock Apple drive in the enclosure makes the same loud noise it did in my powerbook. The Travelstar is VERY QUIET and runs GREAT.