Hard drives won't mount anymore

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cinematographer, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Two LaCie firewire hard drives are connected to my iMac G4. After a forced restart, both of them do not show up anymore, neither in System Profiler nor in Disk utility. I have tried restarting, unplugging and replugging, repair permissions :)) ), but they do not reappear.

When I plug them into the running computer, the external drive starts to spin, but is not mounted. If I turn off the computer, the external drive turns off as well.

So they seem to communicate with each other. But not with me. :mad:

Btw, I'm running the newest version of Tiger.

Thank you very much for your help.

2. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

that's weird cause if there was one I'd say you're external hd case is faulty, but since there are two of them the chances of both of them being bad is quite low...I'd say try plugging them into another mac if you can find one, and then if they mount you'll have to reformat your drive, but if they don't then it's a HD problem which is pretty unlikely again because there is two of them.

3. Cinematographer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Thanks

I'm going to try what you suggest. I really hope I can safe my 55 GB of Music. The backup is on the other drive :eek: :eek: :eek: .

Well I got a second backup on a ethernet disk, but it's a few month old already.