Hard drives

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mulls7, Jan 4, 2005.

1. mulls7 macrumors newbie

Dec 15, 2004
    I have a powermac G4 and my hard drive has ceased to be - even diskwarrior has not coaxed it back to life. I am therefore looking for a new hard drive and was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent model for around £100. thanks
  2. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

Aug 21, 2004
    Perth, WA, Australia
    go with a ata seagate - get one from any computer store.
  3. nichos macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2004
    Jacksonville, Fl
    You might want to check newegg.com they usually have really good prices on everything. Tax free unless you're in CA, and they have some fedex "super saver shipping thing." They also have product reviews, which I always enjoy reading :)
  4. kettle macrumors 65816

May 12, 2002
    England, Great Britain (Airstrip One)
    Possible Internal ATA Limitations on G4

It will depend on what type of ATA you have in your Power Mac.

If you want more than 120GB on an internal ATA BUS you will need an ATA/133 controller rather than the ATA/66 in some older G4 Power Mac.

If you are limited to 128GB, I can personally recommend the 120GB Western Digital 7200 with 8MB cache

Span Data Storage offer good service.

I also found Simply Computers to be very good just before Christmas.

...these are U.K. companies. btw.
  5. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Sep 25, 2004
    I'd say check dealmac.com .. but almost all of those are US deals .. isn't there a pricewatch for the UK ??
  6. dsharits macrumors 68000

Jun 19, 2004
    The People's Republic of America
    I second the Western Digital. I have the 80 GB Caviar (7200 RPM, 8 MB cache), and it is a very fast, quiet drive.

7. keysersoze macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Western Digital or Seagate. Definitely. :)
  8. ruftytufty macrumors member

Jan 4, 2005
    Berkeley, CA
    I have a couple of Hitachi (was IBM) Deskstar 160GB 7k250's set up in a mirrored RAID configuration. The 7k250 is 7200RPM; most parallel ATA models come with 8MB cache; the drives are very fast and quiet (MUCH less vibration and quieter than the original 80GB Seagate drive that came in my system). Very happy with them. Comes in various sizes. You might need to search for the model number: HDS722516VLAT80 for the 160MB Parallel ATA version.

Here's a review, in which the Hitachi beat the comparable Seagate, WD, and Maxtor drives in most respects (esp. in real-world performance):

Reliability is average on storagereview.com (it's interesting to note, that according to their data, no manufacturer can lay claim to the reliability crown - each manufacturer has drives that rank high, and drives that rank low. So, you need to look at the track record of the specific drive family).

Most HD dealers will have them, including Simply Computers mentioned above.

Big rebates have been common on these recently in the US, but don't know about UK.
  9. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    UK, right?

www.dabs.com/uk for good prices on HDs

I second the above comments on Western Digital.
    Never any probs so far -- at work or home.