Hardcore 12" powerbook users?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by scottwat, Sep 4, 2004.

1. scottwat macrumors regular

I have just ordered a 12" powerbook, haven't recieved it yet, and got a 1 gig stick of ram to max it to 1.25GB. The base 4500rpm HD but intend to upgrade that when better HD's come out. Got the superdrive and all that, but here comes the fun part. What can I do with it? I guess to clarify, what is the most extreme, most intense apps you use on a regular basis on this ultraportable beast? Things like FCP? Motion? Shake? Anything more intensive? I figure by the end of the year I will get some sort of an external LCD display this should make heavyduty work a bit easier. I don't really have anything specific in mind, just want to explore where the power and portability will take me.

2. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

i owned a 12" for over a year. I loved it and in fact am thinking of selling my 15" to go back to a 12". FCP runs fine, but its kind of cramped.

3. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

I have 768MB of RAM on a 1Ghz 12" PB and it runs FCE with ease. There's really nothing it can't do. I haven't tried too many games with it yet, but the ones I run, run fine. You'll love your new PB!

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I run apps like Final Cut Pro, Adobe Creative Suite, Macromedia Studio MX etc fine on my Powerbook...the ability to have an external monitor comes in very handy! I love my powerbook and it serves my needs perfectly...if you're looking to run apps like Motion and Shake you might be best off with a G5 though.

5. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

Mine runs anything that I throw at it in terms of FCP, DVDSP, etc. It won't run all of the latest games, but yours should do better at that than mine does. I don't think you'll be dissappointed, esp. if you add that external monitor.

6. scottwat thread starter macrumors regular

Thats what I like to hear

I know I will love my PB. I have been using a 667mhz 512mb ram 15" PB for awhile now and am so ready for more. I have a number of very large panorama's to edit in Photoshop CS for work and the old PB is starting to choke on some of the 200 to 800 mb files. I'm hoping to get to do alot of Sound and Video work on the new system too. Has anyone gotten there PB to choke? Anything these things can't handle? I'm still hoping work will get a dual G5 but in the meantime this will be a very nice step up!