HardDisk/Drive Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DarkNetworks, Jan 24, 2006.

1. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I've a question regarding about HardDrives. I'm planning to buy a HardDrive and it's going to be an external HD.
    Can i buy a Desktop Hard Drive (Maxtor), a regular PC Drive and i buy an External Enclosure for the thing. I mean an external case for the thing that has a USB 2.0. Can i put that HD into the a HD Case? Stupid question but yeah it's possible i mean in size, but will it then be an external HD? I mean can i hook it up to my iBook and will it work? I basically wanna make an external HD...

2. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

So long as you get an enclosure that is compatible with the drive you have (i.e. ATA, SATA) then I think anything goes.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes, no problems! :)

Just beware of size (2.5" vs 3.5") and connection (SATA vs IDE/ATA) and you should be fine. Also, there are USB2/Firewire combo enclosures out there that might be a better choice than a regular USB2 one...

Also, IMO, Seagate Barracuda makes quieter and more reliable disks than Maxtor... ;)

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The 7200.8 and 7200.9 series are great drives (Seagate). I'm not a fan of Maxtor drives either. I've also had good Western Digital drives.

5. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Will these HDs work out straight from the box or i need to format it?
    I'm thinking of IDE/ATA at the moment...cutting down costs...

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

You format them in Disk Utility, no problem (just connect the disk, formatted or not, open Disk Utility, choose the disk from the list, click the Erase tab, choose Volume Format and a disk Name and format the disk).

Many drives will come formatted in some FAT format out of the box. and FAT32 is your best choice if you want to share data with those less fortunate, computer-wise (ie. PC users ;)). If you're only using it with your Mac(s) than go for Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

7. EHUnlucky7x9@ao macrumors 6502

Yes, any PC HD will work in an enclosure. Make sure the enclosure is Mac compatible. USB ones usually are universally accepted.

8. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

if it's an ATA enclosure make sure it's ATA-6 compatible (most of the new ones are) or it won't be able to take HDs larger than 137GB