Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Two questions for all the wise readers out there...

1) Can I take my secondary drive in my Powermac G5 and install it into my forthcoming Mac Pro ? Or is the SATA interface different on the new machines.

2) Ordering extra memory from Crucial to save $, what's the situation with 'fans' and things on the memory. I'm confused, totally. Does the mac pro's require additional heat cooling on the memory, does the memory from crucial come with this, is it easy to install like the powermac or am I going to be left floundering like a fish out of water....

http://www.crucial.com/eu/store/MPartspecs.Asp?mtbpoid=0F893FE9A5CA7304&WSMD=Mac+Pro&WSPN=CT579442

Thanking you :)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
1) The MacPro supports all SATA drives. As long as the drive coming from your G5 is SATA it will work. You may find you need to repartition it (which would destroy all data on the drive), I'm not sure.

2) The Crucial RAM that they certify for use in Mac Pros includes big enough heat sinks to work. The cheaper FB-DIMMs that are not Mac Pro certified do not and can cause issues.

Abulia

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2004
Kushiel's Scion
robbieduncan said:
2) The Crucial RAM that they certify for use in Mac Pros includes big enough heat sinks to work. The cheaper FB-DIMMs that are not Mac Pro certified do not and can cause issues.
This is fairly misleading. There are multiple reports (raises hand) of people using "non-certified" RAM w/o the stock Apple heat sinks just fine. For example, the Kingstons w/ stock heat spreader work just fine in the Mac Pro without any errors or additional fan noise.

I'm not going to say you can use ANY RAM in your Mac Pro, but to say that only the "Apple certified" RAM works or that anything else "can cause issues" is disingenuous at best.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Abulia said:
I'm not going to say you can use ANY RAM in your Mac Pro, but to say that only the "Apple certified" RAM works or that anything else "can cause issues" is disingenuous at best.

Cheers Don. Yeah wasn't so much the certified thing that was worrying me, but the heat sink business, this will the first mac I've ever had that needed such so I was just worried incase their was somthing else I had to purchase on top of the memory etc..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.