Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Andr3w_g4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
Hey everyone,

I'm still pretty new here. I have a dual 1.25ghz, 512 ram with a dvdr-rw super drive but with only 80gigs harddrive. I'm looking to increase it but my question is can I buy any type of harddrive or does it have to be an apple one?? I went to apple.ca but no harddrives are sold there so that's why I'm thinking I can buy any name brand one. I came here to ask what everyone here thought? Maybe some recommendations? I'm looking for at least 120gigs and higher.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could help.

Thanks

-Andrew

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yep

Any external drive should work, I recommend LaCie firewire drives. They are 179 for 120gigs here in the US>

pinto32

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2003
PA
IMO, the whole point of having a tower is for expansion, thus it would be a waste of money to buy a firewire drive. Just get yourself an IDE/ATA (they are the same thing) drive. (don't get this mixed up with the S-ATA drives used in the G5's.)

These are much cheaper, and are far more reliable than external drives (remember the problems when Panther came out..?)

But yeah, all brands are fine, as these are all standards-based.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.