Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rileyb76

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
I am a Verizon customer but found a used iphone 5 (AT&T) on Craigslist. Can you use these on the Verizon network?

TIA

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
You can use a verizon iphone 5 on at&t because it's "allowed" to access at&t's type of network, but only the slow 3G network, not the fast 4G network.

The at&t iphone 5 on the other hand, cannot access verizon's network because verizon doesn't allow it.

Just pretend you're buying a car from america versus Afghanistan, where the American car is verizon and Afghanistan car is at&t. The american (verizon) car works in both countries because it meets both the strict american (verizon) clean air regulations as well as no regulations in Afghanistan (at&t). But the Afghanistan (at&t) car wouldn't be allowed to run in america (verizon) because it puts out too much pollution.

hakr100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
East Coast
You can use a verizon iphone 5 on at&t because it's "allowed" to access at&t's type of network, but only the slow 3G network, not the fast 4G network.

The at&t iphone 5 on the other hand, cannot access verizon's network because verizon doesn't allow it.

Just pretend you're buying a car from america versus Afghanistan, where the American car is verizon and Afghanistan car is at&t. The american (verizon) car works in both countries because it meets both the strict american (verizon) clean air regulations as well as no regulations in Afghanistan (at&t). But the Afghanistan (at&t) car wouldn't be allowed to run in america (verizon) because it puts out too much pollution.

That's great...thanks! :)

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
As I understand the models, everything is the same except for the LTE bands. I think. LTE uses a ton of frequencies, and not everybody is available on any one chip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.