Hardware questions about my G4

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by selfemployed, Dec 14, 2003.

1. selfemployed macrumors newbie

I recently acquired a G4 (M8493) at auction that did not have a screen. So, until I buy a screen, I have been wondering which processor, optical drive, and second drive the unit has. I took off the heat sink to inspect the processor but no numbers or letters were present. I cannot see anything that will clue me in as to which drives are in both bays. I am a total newbie to the Apple world and am anxious to learn about these wonderful machines. Please advise...

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Hope you used static precautions, use a alcohol swab on the cpu it should be stamped on the top. sometimes silicone covers it up. how about a description of the machine?also the heat sink style will help. got a picture? whats the outside look like color? all of these things can help identify the machine with no monitor. also you should have a serial number on the back of machine. look near the plug attachment. a very small sticker should be there and it may even say speed of machine.

3. NP3 macrumors regular

Welcome! :)

There are two ways to check:
    1) go here: http://www.apple-history.com and compare the pictures (group by family on the right hand side and look at all the G4s)
    *although this will just give you a ballpark answer

2) Wait until you get a monitor and run the application: Apple System Profiler. This will tell you everything about the mac, from the type of ram installed, to the OS, to the processor, anything.

and a word on the screen, make sure the whichever video card is the same plug as the screen you buy. (usually DVI or VGA)

Congrats on the new mac. this is a great place to get info. I also like xlr8yourmac.com

4. Mblazened macrumors regular

hah! you probably got like a single 450
    hope it was cheap

5. selfemployed thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone...

Based on the tips from everyone, it seems I have a Quicksilver 2002 with either a 800 or 900Mhz processor. I draw this conclusion because the a) the case matches the quicksilver. b) It has a single stick of 256meg/PC133 ram and a 60 gig HD, both of which came with the 900Mhz. I still am not sure if the drive is the super drive or not but it appears the only thing that was available in the lower drive bay was a Zip 250, which there is some sort of drive there I am assuming is one of these. Is there any thing that points to what kind of optical drive or backup drive that may be present. Once again, there are no stickers, tags, or stamped numbers or letters. Thanks again for the help. :)

6. selfemployed thread starter macrumors newbie

Processor data on my G4

Ok, here is the info off of the processor. It is found on the chip as follows.

XPC7455
    RX933PC

From what motorola says, it appears to me to be a 933Mhz although the motorola data I found stopped at the 800Mhz. Possibly the reason is the chip had not come out as of the date of the data I found. Anyone care to tell me if ever a 933 came into being? I at least know without a doubt it is a quicksilver 2002 because that is when they integrated in 7455.

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

a quicksilver is a good machine. a Great thing about quicksilvers is they can be upgraded to about match anything apple is making now except for the new G5's. You can put duallies in them and even new cpu's up to 1.47 like i have:D did you look next to where the electrical cord plugs in the back? mine has a very tiny sticker just below it that indicates the machine speed. anyways congrats and hope you enjoy it.