Hardware requirments and CivIII

Discussion in 'Games' started by Tarvaloth, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Tarvaloth macrumors newbie

I am looking to buy a Mac for the primary (and pathetic purpose) of playing CivIII.

What machines do people play on?

I like playing the huge maps, however later in the game things tend to run rather slow. What machine would help with the pace of play on huge maps?

Does a G4 make a large difference over a G3? What about a G5?

Thanks for any imput.
    Tarvaloth

2. Indiana Mac macrumors member

My ibook 700 runs Civ3 very well, faster than my 900MHZ pc. But a G4 atleast is the way to go(someone else could tell you about the performance, but the G3 is a dead processor) However, if you are really wanting to play Civ3, then I'd reccomend that you stick with the PC. The updates that make the game truly enjoyable are only available for the PC, and its looks like that's the way is going to be. Sorry.

3. cubist macrumors 68020

I haven't bought any of the upgrades... but I did enjoy Civ2 a lot more than I enjoyed Civ3. Maybe it wasn't as sophisticated, but it was more fun. ("You're letting your crack troops go to waste, general! Let's go bump some heads!") Any reasonably fast PowerPC could play Civ2. I used to play it on a 6200.

Civ-type games take hours to play because of all the units and orders. My last Civ3 game took 21 hours total. Some of the quasi-real-time games, such as Rise of Nations, are starting to get Civ-like features. RoN is currently PC-only, but a Mac port is underway).

4. Indiana Mac macrumors member

I agree, to me Civ2 was a far better game than Civ3 originally was. For some reason the latest expasion pack made it of Civ2 caliber again(which was nice). but is for the Pc only(which annoys me to no end). I'm glad to hear about the RoN port. I look forward to playing it.

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Civ III is playable, but painful, on a 500Mhz G3, even with small maps. As usual, you want as much power as you can get.

6. PismoGuy macrumors member

Runs fine on a G3

I run Civ3 on my Powerbook (500 G3) VERY Nicely until I fill up a standard size map; than the scrolling gets tideous, but I think that is because of my 8 MB video Card not the proc speed.

I suggest that if you want to run Civ 3 nicely, and if that is the only reason for your decision to purchase a new mac, you should consider:
    Either an eMac or the single 1.25 G4 tower or the single 1.6 Ghz G5 when the product line is moved up. (Soon Please!) :rolleyes:

I believe these to be the best choices for mild to moderate games cost effectively (the towers can handle better ones though)

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

on my 400 G3 it's passable (with eye candy turned off) except for a pretty long pause while the other turns move. to put it another way, it's not stopped me from playing many, many many games on it. and i do like the big maps as well...

i should go create one, i haven't ICBM'd any countries lately...

paul

8. nargot macrumors regular

Not much difference between a g3 - 400 and g4 - 800 (the scrolling and turn wait is annoying yes but you get used to it)
    any brand new g4 blows the game away, i play it on my ibook and have no problems except i lose a couple days of my life :)

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I've played it on all 3 of my systems running OS X.

It is, of course, faster on the dual-2 G5 than it is on the 400MHz G3. However, it's playable on any of them. Anything you buy new will play it fine. Pretty much anything you buy refurbed or used will, too. Be sure you have sufficient memory, of course.

But, if you need the excuse:

---------
    CivIII plays so much better on the G5. It's virtually unplayable on any other setup.
    ---------

Cut-and-paste the above if you need it for spousal/parental approval. ;)

10. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

I played it with few issues on my Beige G3 with only 2MB of VRAM. I agree with C2 being somewhat more enjoyable than C3 but the latter is more realistic (well, about as realistic as a game can be when you are nuking a bunch of spear chuckers).

My advice: get the G5 just for the sole reason that it will be more future proof than the G4 or G3.

11. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

My semi-antique (3y/o) iceBook @ 500Mhz seems to run it adequately.

12. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Gee...
    I'm still playing Sid Meyer's Alpha Centuri: Alien Crossfire on my PowerBook G3 266!

13. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

i played it for a good while on my 500Mhz G3 iBook. For a while it was almost unplayable, just felt really sluggish, but you can really take the load off by turning off quartz text. Sure the text looks a little chopy but who cares its still more than readable and the game really did run twice as fast on my machine.

soooo.....a G4 will be more than enough to run civ3. get a cube. you can call it the Civ^3

the last time i played i stayed at peace for the most part right up till the end and ICBMed the whole damn planet. they didnt like it, but there was nothing they could do.