Hardware suggestions for DV recording and DVD burning sought.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Naimfan, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003

I'd like to be able to record video and then burn it to DVD--I have a 6 year old son and my parent live back east in NJ, so would like to be able to send them a DVD now and then so they don't feel like they are missing him growing up.

I know I need a digital camcorder and something to burn the DVDs with, and would appreciate your suggestions on the best way to go forward. I currently have a G3/400 Pismo, which I understand won't burn DVDs. So I think I need both a digital camcorder and a new computer.

On the camcorder, I'd like it to be under $1K, although I am generally loathe to buy the low end. I confess to having a bias toward Canon simply based on my experience with their non-digital cams (better optics than most...). I would also like for it to have still picture capability, although in looking at a number of different camcorders it seems this is relatively standard.

Computer--I think this was adequately addressed on the other thread I posted about buying a G4 PB now vs. waiting for a G5. What I plan to do is wait until the next revision of PBs and then order one. To provide some context, if I were to order one today I'd order the 15" 1.25 GHz with 1Gb of RAM. In reading over these (very informative) forums, my sense is that this PB would be more than capable of the basic video stuff I would be doing.

I look forward to hearing from you all.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    If you do a search for "video camera" or "MiniDV" or something you'll find more than a few recent threads already on that subject. Also, I've always thought c|net is a good place to start shopping for cameras.

3. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas
    Re: Hardware suggestions for DV recording and DVD burning sought.

Here are a few sites which offer excellent camcorder comparison reviews. The general consensus is that Sony offers better picture quality, especially in low light conditions (less noise), but that feature for feature, Canon are cheaper.

Also, some people don't like Sony's touch screen programming, and others do. Just a matter of personal choice.

Either way, if you're getting a camcorder in the $600 to $1000 price range, both Sony and Canon should keep you happy for a while.

Good luck :)