hardware testing without the apple cd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by QCassidy352, Oct 11, 2005.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I have a computer that is having hardware problems that I would like to diagnose, but I don't have the hardware test cd that came with the computer because I'm not the original owner. Is there any other way to run a similar kind of test on hardware components?

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Can't help you fully, but if I get into diagnosing hardware problems I do the following:

Remove all 3rd party hardware devices (PCI cards, ext. FireWire and USB stuff) etc. Also remove 3rd party RAM...
    (Re)Boot the Mac in OpenFirmware (press and hold < COMMAND >, < OPTION >, < O >, < F >).
    Type:
    - reset-nvram < ENTER >
    - set-defaults < ENTER >
    - reset-all < ENTER > (will now reboot automatically)

Start with < SHIFT > pressed (safe-boot)

Download and use Rember (GUI - memtest), and do the full test (will take some time, depends on how much RAM is installed).

Also, (Re)Boot in "verbose mode" (Boot while pressing and holding < COMMAND >, < V >), and try to notice any out-of-the-ordinary messages...

Maybe some external FW Disk with a known-good Mac OS X boot system could help you out too?

Sorry, I don't have any links to "real" hardware test CD's, but this type of diagnoses usually helps me isolate the problem.

Other advise (if physically possible):
    - swap the Boot disk (check to see if no problems occur in another comparible Mac)
    - Insert a new HD, and install a brand new Mac OS X
    - Avoid using ADC. Sometimes using only DVI (or VGA) instead of ADC on the grfx card can eliminate problems
    - Boot into Target Disk Mode (Re)Boot while pressing and holding < T >.
    If this does work, but normal boot does not, you can at least backup the drive (connect to another Mac using a FireWire cable), and check to see that OF still is alive, and so is the disk.
    - Grab a beer, and call it a day.

Good luck, m8.

3. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Good idea, but you have to buy it

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's worth it. It does much more than just hardward diagnostics.

6. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

QCassidy352