Hardwired ipod in car - Is it Analog or Digital Signal

Discussion in 'iPod' started by pm3009, Sep 20, 2006.

1. pm3009 macrumors newbie

Sep 20, 2006

I just bought my first Ipod and am so excited! Had a hard time justifying the price of the 8GB Nano when it's the same price as the 30GB Video....but I just love the miniature size so went with it.

I hate the FM transmitters (my son has one for his 40GB Ipod) and really wanted it hardwired into my car. I just installed a Aux-In cable in my 2003 Saab 9-3 (link for cable I bought is below). The dealer was going to charge me $142 to install this cable!! I was not quite sure I could do it myself, but I gave it a shot and had it installed in under 30 minutes (so I'm sure the dealer could have done it in 10 minutes...what a rip off!) This cable ends in a 1.8m stereo hookup, so I bought a cable from Bestbuy with the 1.8m jack on both ends to hook into the headphone jack on my ipod. So...is this now an Analog signal? Is there any way to get a Digital signal with this cable? If they sell an cable with a 1.8m jack on one end, and the other end connecting to the bottom of my ipod, would that still be Analog, or digital?
    What's the best option given the Aux-in cable that I just installed?

Here's the cable I installed....

2. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Jan 12, 2005
    I think it is analog either way, since the pins in the dock connector (some of them anyway) provide a line-out signal.. which is better for this purpose.

I'm not sure if the quality differs between the headphone jack and the line-out, but generally it is better to use the line-out if you can, especially because then the volume on the iPod is independent of the stereo's volume. (only one "knob" to control)

If it works and you are happy with the sound quality, then don't sweat it.
  3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    That's huge! :eek:

Heh, kidding. :eek:
    Anyways, I think the only (current) way to get a digital signal out of an iPod is to mount it as a hard drive. So unless you want to put a mini in your dashboard, it's analog for you. There's a PocketDock or two that have a line out port.