Harman Kardon Soundsticks

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Project, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Project macrumors 68020

Not really a topic of discussion, but one to gloat :D I just picked these up for my iBook and they are AWESOME. Took me a long time to figure out how to turn the volume up though, but once I realised, it made me think how ill these things are. Very very classy, yet the sound is phenomenal for a 2.1 PC speaker setup.

One very happy customer :tu

I picked up a Mighty Mouse too.... much better than I thought... love the scroll ball.

2. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I also had some confusion on how to turn up the volume. I thought SoundStick was broken as I was not able to turn up the volume. After checking and rechecking wires and all, I noticed those metal + - volume button on one of the side speakers. I felt dumb because I did not find it out much earlier. I agree with you; the sound quality is excellent.

3. biohazard6969 macrumors 6502a

biohazard6969

ugh i always see those in the apple store, i think they're the most ugly things in the world!!! how much are they anyways? do they handle loud music well?

4. Bear macrumors G3

The SoundSticks are by no stretch of the imagination the ugliest speakers in the world.

And as for how loud, that depends on how loud you like things. I think they do high volume well.

5. Agent Smith macrumors 6502

I get better sound out of my SoundSticks 2.1 than my brother does with his $600 5.1 setup. They are amazing, and have little distortion at the highest volume.

6. Project thread starter macrumors 68020

Ugly? Nah I think they are slick looking. Different, which makes them stand out. And the way the blue light in the sub reflects off the plastic is cool. But its all about that volume control!!

I paid £100 for them which is about $177. They sound very clear at loud volumes... I wasnt expecting such a nice output from my iBook.

Its my birthday on Wednesday so im having a party.... had to pick some speakers and they just looked the part. I just downloaded Front Row too... all I need now is a Sony Ericsson phone to act as a remote and i'll switch at least 20 people at my party lol

7. MatthewCobb macrumors regular

That entirely corresponds to my experience. We were both dumb. But not completely, because we bought a great product! Don't hesitate - great sound.

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

they sell them at costco now, for around $90... heck of a deal if you ask me...

9. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I got the Soundtsicks II when they were first released and have touted their brilliance ever since. I agree they are amazing.

I had the same experience with the volume control as well, but I thought the base control knob on the sub was the volume. I have my sub on the floor under my desk so I never see the blue glow... wish the two speakers glowed instead.

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

While I agree that their look is, uh, unique, they sound really, really good.
    I've got the original USB version... Had 'em for years. I think they sound great, though there are times I'd like it if they could be louder. But zero distortion at their top volume (at least in so far as the original USB ones).

11. joelb51 macrumors newbie

Another Trick To The Speakers Off Is By Pressing Both Silver Buttons At Once... Stops Feedback Coming Through When The Computer Is Off... Press Any One Of The Buttons To Turn Them Back On.