Harry Potter after Y Tu Mama Tambien?

Discussion in 'Community' started by radhak, May 24, 2004.

1. radhak macrumors regular

Alfonso Cuaron graduates (?) from Y Tu Mama Tambien to Harry Potter (part 3 out next week), and that makes it something to look forward to for me. Care to speculate how it might be?

After his incisive YTMT, I hope he got some leeway to showcase his talent in HP. Parts 1 and 2 were pretty bland, good-for-kids-but-nothing-for-adults fare.

Is there anybody else here who also thinks YTMT was a well made movie? (I say that despite the nudity and sex, not because of it ;))

2. maxvamp macrumors 6502a

maxvamp

Y Tu Mama

Thought it was pretty good. Editing was a bit choppy though.

BTW: Do you smell bread baking??

Max.

3. radhak thread starter macrumors regular

:D

exactly, not what you'd expect from a steady mainstream hollywood movie, so it sorta stirs things up. i sure hope something like that happens to Harry Potter - make it a bit more on-the-edge.

of course, not much to hope for, seeing that he has to work within the confines of the book long written, which has in its core a 'for child audience' soul. (and to top it, JKR is nowhere in the Roald Dahl class when writing for children...)

4. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    The Potter books have a strong sense of the old looney toons about them in that there are layers of entertainment. The spells in something that is akin to really crappy latin, the treats with the obscure jokes in the names.

The writing in them is pretty good as well. Better than the average book I've read and she is improving.

I just wonder what she is going to do when the series runs out.

5. thecow macrumors 6502

Have lots of money.

6. jasylonian macrumors regular

no robes!

i can't believe that they aren't wearing their robes!

7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Considering that J.K. has said (I heard the words) that she did not intend the books for children, it's surprising that they've been taken that way by the public. They do seem darker as they go along.

I'd expect the film to be quite a divergence from the other two--less innocence, more agression.

8. grneyedjay macrumors member

I must acclaim Y Tu Mamá También as an excellent film, whether despite -or- because of the sex, nudity, etc. One of my fav foreign films of the past few years.

Actually, when I heard that Alfonso Cuarón was set to direct the next Harry Potter film, I was disappointed, because to me, he was selling out. However, from the clips of HP3 that I have seen as well as the trailer, I am quite anxious to see what he's done with the material. :)

9. radhak thread starter macrumors regular

10. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

that's damn funny!

Its good that this film is taking a darker side than the first two. The thing is, though, is that the books are continuing down a much darker path - hopefully the next couple can continue this as well. The only drawback to the whole thing is that as soon as things get a little more scary, it becomes less of a kids movie. And the kids are all loving the series - I just hope it doesn't backlash.

D

11. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

my theory on how dark the books are getting; the kids who watch it is that the kids who were reading it as they got older are growing up with the books, so they will be old enough to handle something more upsetting than someone who is just learning to read them. so while the movies will have to get darker as well, and it might be tougher to sell a pg rating, they will survive if they can maintain the momentum of the books and capture that audience that wont see it in the theaters on video.
    does that make sense?

also, i had no interest in this third movie before seeing the new trailer, i thought the first two were exceptionally boring, so i am excited to see if the darker persona fits the movie better.

-carly

12. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

That makes sense...after all, most kids' books don't have the hero saying he wants to kill the man responsible for his parents' murder. Vigilante stuff like that is usually reserved for an older crowd.

Though, there's a dark thread through even the first book, and Rowling doesn't ever really pull those punches. Harry's not perfect, and she's not shy about showing you so. The movies idealize it all a lot more than the books do. And they really ruin a lot of the magic and wonder of the books, too. Case in point: the moving staircase in the first movie. The book just describes that some of the castle stairs lead different places at different times, like the one that goes somewhere else on Tuesdays. The movie's painfully literal interpretation of this completely destroys the charm of this idea.

I do hope this new director can get more lively performances for Snape and Dumbledore in particular, this time around. The movies play Dumbledore--who's very influential in Harry's development, a major role model--as vague, almost bemused. In the books, he's so much more vivacious: he goes from a twinkle-eyed distillation of all the English silliness you've ever seen to an imposing and terrible power in the change of a mood. NONE of that comes through to the screen version.

And Snape: in the books he's snappish, peevish, scheming, reactive--like an archetype of all the snide, moustache-twirling villans you've ever seen. The movies make him into a barely alive zombie that intones his lines without emotion or reaction. Like Dumbledore, he's hardly there. And the actors that play them are BETTER than that!

I'm really looking forward to Gary Oldman playing Sirius, who's my favorite character. :)