Harry Potter-Am I the only one that doesn't give a damn?

Discussion in 'Community' started by caveman_uk, Jun 18, 2003.

1. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

The Harry Potter hype is all over the media over here. Personally I don't give a toss. It's just a book. I don't care which of the main characters is killed off in this book. Somehow I guess it won't be Harry as JK Rowling is still a bit short of cash....not.

Please say I'm not the only one :(

2. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Well, you're probably not the only one.

However, you may be the minority in posting up your thoughts.
    I'm sure there are a few threads on not caring.

It may also depend on how old you are...

3. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I'm with you on this one caveman. Hey, there's an idea: we could go hide in a cave, and wait for it all to blow over! :p

So what if a major character dies a horrible death? Isn't that what happens with most books? "the baddies always get one". Why then is this worthy of an interview on BBC prime-time evening television? Bah. Kids should just try reading something a bit more wholesome, like something from C.S.Lewis......

4. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Re: Harry Potter-Am I the only one that doesn't give a damn?

Hmmm. Actually, I really think you ARE the only one who doesn't care for Harry Potter. I mean, in the whole wide world, there can only be one person who doesn't care for Harry Potter. I guess that would be you, caveman_uk. ;)

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Re: Re: Harry Potter-Am I the only one that doesn't give a damn?

Nah, cant stand the speccy little sh*te myself, but Rowling knows a cash cow when she sees one, this could go on for decades:mad:

I hope the whole lot get horribly mangled in a freak pritnting press accident.

6. iGav macrumors G3

I don't give a flyin' :eek: :eek: :eek: about Harry Potter either!! :D

So can I come to the cave for a party as well?? :D

7. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Re: Re: Harry Potter-Am I the only one that doesn't give a damn?

What's even worse, is that someone actually stole a TNT lorry filled with the bloody things... :rolleyes: :p :p

8. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

heh.

Personally, I just about had it with Potter a few years ago. It's nice to see that I'm not alone.

:D

9. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

Re: Re: Re: Re: Harry Potter-Am I the only one that doesn't give a damn?

I heard about that, 1.25 million $s worth aparently.

10. iGav macrumors G3

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Harry Potter-Am I the only one that doesn't give a damn?

Yep.... all for ASDA's Yorkshire stores... so if you're in Yorkshire, and want to get away from all the Harry Potter nonsense, then I suggest you spend the weekend in a local ASDA store and avoid the crowds.... :p :p :p

11. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

hahahaha! That is so damn funny - you have a link on that one?

Ah, the stupidity of it all....and they're having a midnight sale in most book stores here in the states. Be the first one....blah!

I've even read them, they're entertaining and very creative. Got tons of kids interested in reading. But even though I'll probably eventually read the new one, I'm not going to go wait in line to get one. Silliness......:rolleyes:

D

12. jethroted macrumors 6502a

jethroted

Re: Harry Potter-Am I the only one that doesn't give a damn?

I'm with you. Who cares about Harry Potters? I'm sick of him too.

13. iGav macrumors G3

14. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

My local library was taking orders for this to raise some money. Since i haven't read any of the books yet, and my children are still too small (5 and 3), I don't really care one way or the other.

I can't believe that someone would steal all of those books. It's not like they are the new Powermacs. :D

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

you abvoiusly haven't been following the craze surrounding these books.

Wasn't a slip of paper with 40 some odd words written and signed by Rowling about the newest book auctioned on eBay for a huge sum?

Its totally nuts and people need to adjust their perspective.

D

16. iGav macrumors G3

It went for £26k..... :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm in the wrong business.... :p

17. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

that's awesome, id have done it, sell em for a squid each, make a killin'

mind you, everytime i see TNT lorry, i think of a big truck filled with dynamite, shame it isn't so, best thing for 'em (the books, not the thieves :p )

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, you just have to come up with something that the masses can't live without.....her books and popularity even surprised her at first.

What will be interesting to see is what happens after Harry Potter is finished (book 7) and the movies are all out on dvd.....what will she do?

It'd be tough not to do something, especially for someone who is a creative type. Even with all of her money I'd still be on my computer making something....

D

19. evil macrumors 6502

what is it about these books that the massess crave? it seems like nothing new or exciting -to me- but ...i dont like much. haha

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

They're well thought out and well written. Good is good, bad is bad and you want the heroes to succeed and triumph and have the evil lose. They're quite entertaining too, very imaginative. Classic storytelling, well presented and fun.

As to why they're so popular? That's harder to explain.

D

21. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Harry Potter-Am I the only one that doesn't give a damn?

How can you say this is silliness, I would much rather see my child excited over a book rather than the norm of video games cartoons and crappy movies. The Harry Potter series has reiterated literature with children and that can never be a bad thing. And the series is definitely on par with C.S. Lewis britboy, just because you "make" or become popular doesnt automatically negate you into being shi...t.

22. iGav macrumors G3

Well that rules out nude photo's of myself then... :eek: :eek: :p

23. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Harry Potter-Am I the only one that doesn't give a damn?

kids sure... but explain my girlfriend's excitement! pleeeeease! hah

i can't compete with that little wizard.... :( ;)

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Harry Potter-Am I the only one that doesn't give a damn?

And that is a good thing - but like any media driven event it gets out of hand. That's what I was talking about.

How many other authors have you ever heard of that have had a truck load of their most recent book stolen? :D

I'm all for getting the kids to read more - and once they're finished with Potter, they're going to find other things equally as good or even better.

D

25. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Agreed. Getting kids into reading is a big step, and should be encouraged. My objection to the harry potter series though is that it introduces children to sorcery and witchcraft, in such a way that they think it's 'cool'. What's next? Getting them into devil-worship? Surely that's not something that you would actually *want*?