Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The newest story set in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter universe, called Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, has launched worldwide on Apple's iBooks platform. Referred to as "the eighth story," Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is a script of the play of the same name, which has been in previews at the Palace Theatre in London over the last few weeks, and made its official world premiere tonight.

The play is based on an original story from Rowling, along with collaboration from director John Tiffany and writer Jack Thorne, and picks up the story of Harry, Ron, and Hermione nineteen years after the events of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, in line with that novel's epilogue. The plot is said to not only be focused on the three heroes, but their various offspring and their own time at Hogwarts.

harry-potter-cursed-child-800x450.jpg
It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn't much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.
Told in two parts with an intermission in between, the script released today contains both halves of the story and is referred to as "The Special Rehearsal Edition." Scholastic -- Rowling's longtime publisher in the U.S. and Canada -- plans to release a "Definitive Edition" of the story in early 2017, which will contain fine-tuned tweaks made through Cursed Child's preview run, including the play's "perfected, definitive" script and final stage directions.

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child will be available in all markets supported by iBooks beginning on July 31, coinciding with the birthday of Harry Potter himself. Within the United States and United Kingdom, users will be able to choose from iBooks [Direct Link], Amazon Kindle, Barnes & Noble Nook, Google, Kobo, and WHSmith (exclusively in the U.K.) as e-book options. The e-book is priced at $14.99, while the retail version of the book will cost fans $17.99, and will be available at most brick-and-mortar booksellers.

Article Link: 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child' Launches on iBooks

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I thought Harry Potter was really dumb when I was a teenager, but now I enjoy it. I'm looking forward to checking this out! My wife is going to be thrilled.

Icestorm815

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
J.K. Rowling had little to do with this book. It's a play written by Jack Thorne and the cover says that it's "based on a new original story by J.K. Rowling". She more or less just gave her blessing and approved it.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Fans lap it up, J.K. Rowling has indicated this is the final Harry, it's done.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Not that I would every buy anything on ibooks. Stick to amazon.

Often I'd agree, but in this case I'd say it's best to buy directly from the official Pottermore site to support the principle of DRM-free eBooks (you get it as an epub). You even get the option to transfer your purchase to your Kindle / Amazon account included as well, so there's real no downside.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
I think anyone expecting a book on par with the original 7 will be disappointed. It's a play manuscript, meaning you probably need to see the play to full appreciate it as from the 2 scene preview, there is very little description to get the imagination flowing.

I imagine in several years it will be a movie, but not until it's had theatre runs across the World.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
Just finished it. 4/10. She would have done better to write an actual novel.
But that's not what this is. It's a play. By reading this, you're missing the staging and acting which is a HUGE part of what makes a play good. If you don't like reading scripts, don't read it. It's not rocket science.
[doublepost=1469962991][/doublepost]
Harry Potter and the Search for Relevance
Harry Potter and the One-Trick Author
Harry Potter and the Magic Money Printing Press
Harry Potter and the Tired Meme
You know the author has a writing pseudonym right? Obviously not as successful as Potter, but Potters success is lightning in a bottle. That she keeps choosing to grow the world (whether it be with stories set in USA or moving from film/books to theatre) is great. Keeps it interesting for fans. There's no reason she couldn't get many more huge narratives out of it. Each medium is very different. But hey, it's easy to sit on a forum and insult people.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
"Incorrect… watch & learn" -- Your reply is both inaccurate and it's condescending. That wasn't the complete discussion from J K Rowling on the red carpet interview.

FACT CHECK! From J K Rowling's mouth -- "He goes on a very big journey during these two plays and then, yeah, I think we're done." "So, I never wanted to write another novel, but this will give the fans something special." "This is the next generation, you know. So, I'm thrilled to see it realised so beautifully but, No, Harry is done now."

Video: 1:02. http://tenplay.com.au/news/national/2016/7/31/potter-s-last-spell

http://mashable.com/2016/07/31/jk-rowling-harry-potter-done/

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-entertainment-harrypotter-idUSKCN10A0OP

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/harry-potter-and-the-cursed-child-jk-rowling-done-now-book-release-date-a7164696.html

Last edited:

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
J.K. Rowling had little to do with this book. It's a play written by Jack Thorne and the cover says that it's "based on a new original story by J.K. Rowling". She more or less just gave her blessing and approved it.
You mean first sent the licensing bill, blessed it and approved it? $$$$$$$

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
She's been writing a series of murder mysteries under a different name. I'm currently reading the third one.

She doesn't have to write anything else, ever. She was on welfare when she wrote the first one, and she's a billionaire now. But she does.
She is starting parallel C.S Lewis. He wrote a lot of works under pen names to avoid overexposure.

Reactions: centauratlas

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I think recent Star Trek movies has proven you can simply take a time jump and rewrite the whole thing later..(but done worse in star trek's case). I think of that stuff as more Elseworlds but I'd still read it. Flashpoint was decent in the comics. I know some are definitely not fans of that kind of thing though.

The Potter stuff only really works with the formula of Harry and friends and progressing years at Hogwarts. What key event would change things forever for Harry early on?

Reactions: centauratlas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.