Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Discussion in 'Community' started by Doctor Q, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Volume 6 of the Harry Potter series will be released July 16, 2005. People are starting to pre-order it now.

I know many kids who are anxious for the next volume, and a good number of adults as well. We know from previous threads (search on "Harry Potter" in thread titles) that there are plenty of Harry Potter fans among our forum members.

From the publisher:

2. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

yea.. i pre-ordered. Like all other Harry Potter books, i get them just to have them, never read and 5 of them. I just go watch the movie. :cool:

3. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

I can't wait. The current books in the series fooled me -- see, after too many times being caught by authors who lose interest part way through a series, a long time ago I swore I would never start an unfinished series.

Then, when the first movie was about to come out, I decided I had better read the first book. It ended nicely and wrapped everything up. So I decided it was safe to read the second book. Same deal, so I read the third, then the fourth.

When I finished the fourth, I turned the air around be blue with the realization I had been tricked. Now I'm having to anxiously wait for yet another unfinished series.

Grr, guess it's time to pre-order...

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Yes, my wife was notified by amazon.com about ordering the prerelease of the Harry Potter Book. She already went to amazon.com.uk to pre-order. Already has the full collection from the original British version.

5. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

If you want to save on shipping, you could always get it from Amazon.ca.

We've always had the unadulterated versions here.

6. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

i made an announcement at the store regarding pre-orders (40% at borders ;-) ) and several people appeared IMMEDIATELY to put the reserve in....i was astounded. This will be the second HP book I'm working for Borders for (the first was goblet of fire, back in 2000) and I am far jumpier being in charge this time around....It should be an exciting release weekend, when it finally comes out.
    On book-topic, I found the last two especially fascinating for the themes of discrimination and, well, witch-hunting. Especially the magical court where the wizards turn over each other to avoid punishment. Kind of like the blacklisting of the 1950's...

On yet another tangential topic, has anyone read "jonathan strange and Mr norrell"? it's been described as a grown-up harry potter, but i could almost see it as a world well before harry potter, laying the groundwork for some of that same idea of english magic....more adult writing than jk rowling's work, but both need a good editor (jonathan strange et al is 800 pages...we'll see if rowling can top that in "half-blood prince)

7. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I took my niece to the Lemony Snicket movie - just perfect for her. As for Harry Potter, the moviemakers face the problem of making a series of movies out of a series of books with actors who age faster than the characters they portray.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm not a fan but I think I heard/read an interview once with J.K. Rowling and in it she stated that the series is mapped out to be complete & finished after 7 novels... which includes this spoiler (in white)...
    The rumoured death of a major character.

But... I could be completely wrong.

9. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

We're seeing that day after boxing day :) As a side note, it's really funny reading the reviews for the movie. Every single negative review I look at it and say "ahh, obviously you have not read any of the books".

They've got that issue, and they've got the additional problem of having to cut out more and more of the details. Prisoner of Azkhaban was a good movie, but it really left you out in the cold if you hadn't read the books. There were some major plot points that were left out (why did nobody know Peter was an animage was one of the biggest I saw). It's been too long since I've seen it (once somebody in the family gets it for Christmas we'll see it again ;)) but I remember having to do explanations to other people after seeing the movie.

Unfotunately it's turning into a series of movies that makes the books required reading before going to see it.

10. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

That's absolutely true. I have faith she'll finish them, but now I'm in a situation where I have to wait two years between books, and I don't want to do that!

You see, when I get into reading something like that, I really get into it. I read the last three books (Prisoner, Goblet, Phoenix) over a 5 day weekend. Then I realized it was 2 years to the next one, and 2 years at least to the one after that...

11. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I believe Santa is bringing it for me :) I thought it sounded rather interesting. I'm looking forward to Book 6 too - last time I went to Borders in London at midnight to pick up a copy and started reading on the nightbus home (sadly mine isn't a Knight Bus) despite being interrupted by drunken fans demanding to know what had happened so far... ;)

12. Doctor Q thread starter Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Or maybe that's fortunate. Convincing a few more people into reading books!

If you go to Lemony Snicket, be sure to stay through the closing credits. The background images and animations amidst the credits are lots of fun.

I remember seeing bookstores holding pajama parties when previous books were released (at midnight). Will stores be doing that again?

13. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I can't wait. I've been reading "Harry Potter" to my kids since the first one, and they are now in college and high school and still hooked on the books. Harry has taught more than a few children, and quite a few adults, the joys of reading. I've known tough city kids who hated anything to do with school, but would read a five hundred plus page book about teenage wizards. I'm just worried JK Rowling is going to kill off Harry in the last book!

14. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Cool, I'm excited to read it. I've read the others and thoroughly enjoyed them. The movies are alright, it'll be interesting to see how much they leave out of the next movie, considering how much happens in the book. Not going to be released until mid July though? Why why start the pre-ordering seven months early?

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

No one wants to be left out. It works on the principal of first come first served. If you do overnight shipping, then you will be among the first to receive. It's all part of the excitement.

Any speculation on who the "Half Blood Prince" might be?

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I was in England when the last book came out, and I got it the day it came out in England. Read the whole thing that night, not getting a wink of sleep. Oh well :).

HP books are good stuff. I must admit, they are a guilty pleasure of mine.

I can't wait to get my hands on the next one.

scem0

17. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I'm a huge fan of the HP series, and can't wait to get my hands on the new book.

I think the Half Blood Prince will be a new character we haven't met yet.

18. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

19. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Or maybe we learn that Hermione is not only a man, but also a prince!

That would be an interesting twist in the storyline :D.

scem0

20. RobbyRoo macrumors newbie

RobbyRoo

Definitely looking forward to the new HP book. Should be, like, 1000 pages. :)

[​IMG]

21. Jaz macrumors regular

I worked a bookstore here in Australia just as Pottermania was starting; well before the movies, just after Azkaban was released. I know what you fear! That was mad when we kept selling out as it only just becoming popular enough to justify large print runs.

As an aside, I am very much looking forward to HBP. Just love reading the Potter books. The first two movies are average, but Cuaron did a great job with Azkaban. Content with just the books though.

I too have been reading "jonathon strange ...". Enjoying it very much. Like Potter it has a very english air about it, which I love having grown up in England. I agree with your comment that it has this potential feel of being 19th century pre-history to Potter. The stilted social conventions masking these similar layers of politics, power and characters.

22. khammack macrumors regular

Yeah, I read that too. In fact, she was talking about the 5th book which has already been released. So it's not really a spoiler any more, except for people who haven't been following the books. And they apparently don't care. :)

-kev

23. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Yeah, but there is supposed to be a similar happening in the 6th book...

24. tristan macrumors 6502a

I too was wondering why they've announced the book a full 7 months before the release. Now I'm thinking that it's so they can better estimate the size of the initial print run. Hopefully they'll size it right and everyone who pre-orders with a reasonable lead time will get a copy the day it's released.

The other thing I'm amazed about with Harry Potter is that it's like a Marshall plan for child actors - by the time the actors that play Harry, Hermione, and Ron are 19 or so, they'll have *7* films on their resume, all lead roles! Sheesh!

25. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

You think that's bad...two words for you: Robert Jordan. Now there's a guy that can't finish a story (11 books so far), and it's not even his story really. He just steals from other well known sources and dresses it up as his own, and generally not very well. Unfortunately, I loathe leaving a story unended, so yes I'll probably end up buying the rest.