"Harry Potter" on an eMac

Discussion in 'Games' started by Naimfan, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

All--

First, I hope this is the correct forum for this question. Moderators--if not, please move it to the appropriate area.

I bought my son "Harry Potter--Deluxe Edition" today and have been immensely frustrated. First, it wouldn't install properly. Finally, once it did, it will play for roughly 10-15 minutes and then lock up. Now it has the eMac so befuddled it won't even boot.

All suggestions welcomed. . . I will visit the Apple store tomorrow, but thought I would post here--I've received tremendously helpful advice previously. Are there any known incompatibilities or glitches?

The eMac is a 1GHz G4 with 1 GB of RAM, a 40 Gb HD (with 25 G available), running Panther.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So it's not booting at the moment? Weird, it easily meets the system requirements, so maybe start up from the Restore CD (put in tray and start up holding down C) and then go to the Disk Utility and repair permissions. This may actually work. Fingers crossed. :)

3. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Try resetting the PRAM, then do what madjew said.

Hope that helps :)

4. Naimfan thread starter macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Wow--that was FAST! Thanks!

I just tried resetting the PRAM; it has no effect. I get the initial start up sound, and the gray/white background, and then it goes to the blue screen, and then the little wheel just keeps spinning and spinning. . .

Going to try to get the tray to open so I can restart from a boot CD.

Bob

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The tray should open if you hold down the mouse button as you start up, but no guarantees, obviously.

6. Naimfan thread starter macrumors 68040

Naimfan

All--

I thought I'd update you since you were kind enough to volunteer help and suggestions.

Long story short: It was not a bad combo drive but rather a bad memory chip. It is from OWC and I anticipate no problem with exchanging it.

I ran the eMac's hardware test and it said, in essence, bad memory. So I pulled the two DIMMs until it started correctly.

I am pleased to say (on behalf of my son, at least!) that Harry Potter runs just fine on the eMac.

Thanks to all!

Bob

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

That's great. :D

I was just re-reading my posts and realised I'd told you the wrong advice anyway. I was supposed to tell you to Repair Disk, not Repair Permissions. :eek:

Meh, doesn't matter now.