Harry Potter

Discussion in 'Community' started by scem0, Nov 23, 2002.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Any thoughts about anything concerning Harry Potter?

I Just came home from seeing the chamber of secrets: here are my thoughts:

The acting is a problem, Ron, Hermione, and Harry need
    to improve their acting, sometimes it is as if you are watching a
    school play. The plots, special effects, and basically everything
    else are just fine and dandy.

1 more problem. It annoys me that they are releasing Harry Potter
    calenders, candels, and assignment notebooks nowdays. I don't
    see why one would be that obsessed with harry potter. When
    I saw the 1st movie (sorcerer's stone) there were people dressed
    up as witches, wizards, and as Harry Potter. That annoyed the
    crap out of me. The same goes for Star Wars. They are just
    movies/books.

That's all. So what do y'all think of Harry?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I haven't seen "Chamber of Secrets" yet and I never saw "Philosopher's Stone" (take that! :D) when it was at the cinema but I got the DVD immediately after it was released.

It's all charming and a little rough around the edges. I usually find that adults make more mistakes in acting. The first film went quite well and I think they've relaxed a bit for the latest.

I don't dress up as my favourite character of any kind but I do like the bits and pieces. I have two Star Trek Enterprise Hallmark ornaments as well as the Star Wars "Ultimate Laserdisc Collection" which cost $250 about 10 years ago.

I do know people who have dressed up and won contests at Star Trek conventions. I put my foot in my mouth before I learned of it, of course. :D

3. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

I just don't get what can be so special about a book or a movie
    to make you devote so much time to it. Aren't there much more
    important things?:confused:

4. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

How is it any different then a brand of computer or a specific website?

5. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Re: Harry Potter

Just a question of time ´till Ms.V comes in and discusses your colorful posting style :D

Harry, I think, is the most overrated movie AND story I´ve ever seen. Ok, Star Wars is also overrated (argh, don´t flame me!) in the story part. Under the line, it all comes down to money, right?

I´ve seen the first HP. The story was cut at the wrong points. The characters are good, but don´t have enough time to be explained. And.. sorry, but if the film is true to the book, so I must blame Mrs. Rowling for RIPPING OFF Indiana Jones (the 3rd movie) in the end (3 tasks to fulfill...) shameless, that is.

The movie industry is selling us dreams, and we swallow whatever they tell us what is good. Spielberg and Lucas are the grand masters of selling dreams and still they are considered great filmmakers... how I hate it... I´d prefer David Fincher any time...

6. vniow macrumors G4

Oh I saw it.[​IMG]
    I was just waiting for the right time.
    He's not really copying my style seeing as I usually choose a better combo of colors.....[​IMG]

But scem0, you have been warned.[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Harry Potter is for no brain PC user's. If it were up to me I would pile all that wica wannabe **** and burn it. Harry Potter is a tool of the devil and is from the flamey depths of HELL!!! End of rant.:)

8. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Don´t be so agressive. Harry Potter may be a pile of **** but this is no reason to make all fantasy stories the work of the devil.

In the traditional, non-malformed sense of the occult, the devil is a positive symbol, like yin and yang - but I think you were joking all along ;) :)

9. diorio macrumors 6502a

Have you guys read Harry Potter? If you haven't and even if you have I would tone it down a little before some people start flaming you for being focus on the family dip ****s.:rolleyes:

10. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

I wasn't copying you. I don't like to copy people [​IMG]

[​IMG]

--

I agree with those who say that the whole banning Harry Potter
    thing is a bunch of bull****.

11. vniow macrumors G4

Ah, I see that you like my drag smileVs also.[​IMG]

12. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Well, sorry, I just tried to keep up with Spock ;) . I don´t get the family sentence. I am not a native speaker, and I am not focussing the discussion on families... so what? :confused:

Yes, I´ve read it (the first one) and it was a quite tedious experience. As I said, the characters have potential, but the storytelling is confusing now and then. Rowling tries to create mystery by NOT telling things. This is unnecessary teasing and does not create real dramatic tension. My opinion, of course...;)

13. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Heh, nothing wrong with that. Right? Guys?

14. diorio macrumors 6502a

Yes, it can be difficult to understand at first. Disregard the Focus on the family sentence, I was directing that more towards Spock. He was the one that sounded crazy. I like Rowlings style, but I think out of the four Harry Potter books, the first was the worst, you should try out the others, I think you'll enjoy them.;)

15. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

I have the fourth book lying around here, untouched. I´ll give it a shot when I have time for it :).

16. pianojoe macrumors 6502

pianojoe

I saw the new movie yesterday, and, well, it's a typical "second" movie. Not too many new ideas. I liked the acting, though, except for the main character, who got the role more because of his everybody's-darling charme than because of his acting. The movie is rated fit for 6-year-olds in my country, well, I think that's too early.

The story is flawed in a number of spots:

What about this car leaving all by itself, showing up at the very right time, and going away again?

What about the big man who gives a hint to follow the spiders before he goes to jail? He's supposed to care for Harry and puts his life in danger?

Worst-made moment: The phoenix goes for the snake's head. Nobody realizes what he does, but, fortunately, the Tom Riddle character says: "HP, even though the snake is blinded now, it can still take your scent." Good that he mentioned it because it wasn't clear from what you saw.

17. Amadeus macrumors member

harry 2

To all:

I saw Harry 2 tonite.

Scem0, you are COMPLETLELY wrong when you say these kids aren't good actors. You are DEAD wrong. ALL of them do spectacular jobs with their parts. They play these parts so well it is specifically why I saw this movie.

Ever seen Star Wars Episode I? How about any other Jake Lloyd film? Perhaps you remember the Home Alone series? Now that is bad child acting. These HP kids succeed incredibly, in my opinion. Probably the best child acting since "Annie" or *maybe* "The Sixth Sense" -- at the very least, they are on par with the kids from "E.T."-- the only other child acted movie to even come close to the scale of Harry Potter.

There are plot points missing from the 2nd movie and the 1st movie (like the car and other sub-stories)... but I have read the books, so it is hard for me to judge these types of problems -- since I know the plot already.

I will say that I thought the new movie used less interludes and more scene changes than the 1st... they used the scene change to correspond with chapter changes in the book.. it worked OK.. lacked a little of the flow the first one had -- especially with regards to the passage of time. All of a sudden, it was the end of the year.

Basically, I thought it was pretty good. I thought the end of this one wasn't well done at all (especially the Dumbledore/Potter scene after the fighting; and, of course, the pseudo-romantic Hermione ending.. what was that?!)..it just didn't stick to the book. Depressing. That said, the weak links of the movie were the editing and directing.. definitely not the acting (maybe Branaugh and Harris weren't so "hot" though).. perhaps Columbus stepping down is a good thing at this point.

Also, I know Emma Watson stole the show in the 1st movie, and that her character is the best of all 3 of them, but that running/hugging scene is total directorial laziness.. reminds me of some stupid "teen" flick or a romatic comedy. Chris Columbus could have done better. I mean, I know she is a cute little girl and that Harry and Ron and the audience love her, but that scene doesn't fit at all.

Its probably not as good as the first one, but very good nonetheless.

And by the way, obsession and addiction are important parts of life... we all need drama... even if it is just following Apple daily...

Long live HP,

-- Amadeus

18. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I think the Harry Potter series is great fun. The first one is written for the youngest target audience (10 year olds), and thus is the most simplistic. It does a good job introducing the characters, but, as you read the other books, you see how much more their is to learn about them.

The plot holes are probably due more to what you can show in a PG-13 move then a directorial mistake. It was certainly clear in the book what happened. I think that if you showed the bird vividly eating the eyes of the Basilisk, it would probably give a bunch of kids nightmares. The kids will most likely know what happened, since they read the book. The flying car is right out of the book. JKR wants the readers to think of the car having a mind of its own. It kicks them out of the car and leaves them because it is mad at them for getting it bashed around by the whomping willow. Hagrid telling them to follow the spiders led them directly to the find out where the Chamber of Secrets entrance was. Aragog, the spider, said it was a girl that died, and might have mentioned the bathroom. Nonetheless, they went right to moaning Myrtle, listened to her story and discovered the opening.

I like her story telling style. She constantly makes one wonder what is going to happen next. That's why her book was the fasted selling book ever. No doubt that book 5 will exceed book four.

It is easy to make fun of her books and movies, but just check out the NYT bestseller list and see that all four books are on the top ten list in both hardcover and softcover.

I can't wait for until the next book is released and some nut throws a book burning event. I have a bible that an ex-girlfriend gave me that is just waiting to be tossed into the fire :D

19. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i'm somewhat ashamed to admit that i've seen both harry potter movies (yes, i sat through all 3 hours of the second one) and i can't see how people think that this is all so creative. matilda+the worst witch+indiana jones = harry potter. it's an ok kids movie, but i think that most of it has been done better.

by the way, i did dress up as old harry when i saw hp2, hoping that people would laugh, but a gangly college student in sorcerer garb just seems to make people uncomfortable. maybe it was because i went barechested...

20. job macrumors 68040

job

I had the chance to see HP for free last week (preview showing-full film!)

Instead I declined and I am going to see the new Bond film tonight. :p

21. bidge macrumors 6502

I watched the Lord of the Rings special edition, it is the most amazing film, it ads in all the missing bits that do so much, they should do one for Harry Potter to 1) make people more satisfied and 2) get more money.

22. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

I wonder if I will ever be able to download that SE version... I got
    the regular version already, I need to see those extra tidbits
    you were talking about. It's too bad that they took them out
    from the theater version.

23. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

I saw the original Harry, and read the first book. I thoroughly enjoyed both. I thought the movie did a good job of following the book, except for certain (obvious) differences. Since I enjoy so much, it is a movie I can actually sit down and enjoy with my kids, rather than gritting my teeth and waiting for it to end:)
    Hopefully, I will be able to take my kids out over Thanksgiving to see the 2nd HPjavascript:smilie(':)')

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I just saw HP2 tonight - thought it was quite good and the effects were amazing. When Harry was shaking Dobbie in the Hospital wing on his bed there really wasn't any indication that Dobbie wasn't actually there (sometimes there are traces of CGI that give it away, not here).

And the basillisk scene was first rate. But effects don't make the movie, it still has a good story to back it up.

The only problem I see with the film is that there is so much story to tell and not enough time to tell it all.

What they're going to do with the 4th book, I have no idea.

D

25. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Fascination, my dear child, of both the printed word and the visual image.