Harshness of red marks has students seeing purple

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Aug 23, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Good golly. I think an 'A' looks great no matter what the color - and likewise an 'F'. I wouldn't really care all that much about the fact that, say, the thirty questions I missed were all circled in a color "linked to creativity and royalty".

3. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

Wow, that's stupid. I think Aquamarine is more negative than puce... :rolleyes:

4. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

When you screw up in the real world, do you think your boss is likely to mark it in purple ink so that you don't feel bad about yourself. No. It's going to be black ink on a pink slip. Out the door. I would think that with all the problems talked about in our education system, teachers would have more important things to do than psychoanalyze the color of grading ink. Sheesh.

5. sockeatingdryer macrumors regular

sockeatingdryer

I think someone's reading FARK... this popped up just a little before this story appeared.

But seriously, this is the most retarded thing ever.

6. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

She's a gym teacher. Maybe middle school has changed since I went a little more than a half-dozen years ago but how many papers does she grade. For me gym/health was pretty much you show up, dress out for PE, run around the basketball court and get an A.

Red is scary.
    I like purple better

7. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I hate to say it, but sometimes people need to know they suck, in the harsh way.

It happened to me, and all it did was light my fire to work harder. We are raising a generation of wet-noodles who think mediocrity is okay because their teachers/parents dont want to hurt their feelings.

Go ahead and play XBox joey...mommy will make sure to write a note to your teachers why your homework isnt done

8. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

That is about as dumb as at gets.....with both of my parents being teachers....I see a lot of red pens and couldn't imagine them not using red to correct papers....I guess it is part of the "school tradition".

If you don't like the red, do better, that way you will see less of it ;)

9. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i dont usually have a lot of red markings on my papers but my teachers usually put the grade in black. imo the color doesnt matter, it's what the comments say. if the teacher says "good effort, but you need to fix blah blah blah" theyre just catering to the pansies. i think teachers should say. "blah blah blah is wrong. fix it." but my 7th grade english teacher 2 years ago would say "there are 3 things wrong with this paper. find and fix them." that damn b!tch...the worst teacher ever....

10. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

Y'know, I am constantly amazed at how there doesn't seem to be any lower limit to stupid ideas.

Just when what was surely the most inane concept to ever blight the world has crawled across your screen and died, someone proposes something even more fundamentally lame and dysfunctional, all with a straight face...

Its like quantum physics or something, infinite alternate worlds of stupidity to explore. :eek:

11. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

But an 'F' is just an 'A' missing its right leg! :D

Stupid PC morons and soft kids....ugh! :mad:

12. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Yes, that does seem some what stupid.

You know, I think I heard somewhere that red is a symbol of anger, and constantly seing red can make you in a bad mood.

Blueish/purple on the other hand, is suppost to look calm and relaxing.

Thats why I have my desktop look blue/purple, it does wonders for my temper. :)

13. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I think the color aversion thing is learned. Red is only scary because it is used for bad things. Stop signs, warning labels, failing grades.

Its all a pavlovian response.

I say all bad grades should be done in pink.

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

But if we used purple for all those caution, warning, stop signs, and incorrect markings, then everyone will be scared of purple.

And why did they waste the money and time of a "color psychologist" on this drivel? A color psychologist? Give me an ***** break. :rolleyes:

15. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Where I work, the written tests are part of phys. ed. curriculum. It still blows me away, when I see them taking tests, rather than running around doing something.

16. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

I agree that it's a learned response. It's all a make everyone feel better, can't have someone feeling bad. When will America wake, some kids do well and other don't. It would be boring if everyone was good in the same thing.

17. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Ruslan Nedoruban, who is entering seventh grade at his Belmont school, said red markings on his papers make him feel "uncomfortable."

i bet it does :rolleyes:

18. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

In other news, harshness of purple marks has students seeing teal.

19. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I used to teach writing, and I was advised by my boss not to use red ink. The point is to make students better writers. If they've had previous bad experiences with red ink, why not use some other color? If that helps get students "on my side," I'm more likely to be able to help them improve. If not, no harm's been done.

Not a very big deal, one way or another: what's more important is WHAT YOU WRITE in the comments. For example, writing "you are an incompetent writer" in any color is a harmful and abusive comment.

20. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

Actually, I think I've read it's apparently more of a Darwinian response, red is the colour of blood. Unlike say blue, yellow or green - sky, sea, sun, grass, tree etc - all nice comforting not-bleeding-to-death things like that! :p

21. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Actually red is a turn-on for some physiological reason (as opposed to psychological). I'm not sure why.

22. takao macrumors 68040

takao

hmm as far as i remember our teachers used green,red and purple..some teacher corrcted an exam in brown once and of course alot of other colours
    i haven't noticed any differences...bad marks are bad marks

23. Makosuke macrumors 603

Yeah, funny, all my college professors grade everything in plain black pen, and a whole bunch of black writing is every bit as scary as a whole bunch of red writing.

Only difference is red STANDS OUT, so you can actually find the comments amidst your own scribbling.

This is what teachers spend their time on these days?

24. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

Agreed entirely.

25. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I had a 6th grade teacher who wouldn't let me go to recess just so she could tell me that I am a "ding bat" And that I was the worst student in the class.

I think I would have probably liked a red mark instead.

Oh and I was a b+ student and was in the top 5 in my class. :eek: